Check valve for waste pump

This noise you hear indicates the proper operation of the check valve. When the pump shuts off, the weight of the water on top of the valve closes the valve against its base. These components are usually rubber in which you should hear a dull thudd, however, if the rubber is hardened, the rubber parts on the valve are worn, or it is just a cheap check valve, the noise may be exaggerated. Just take out the check valve and swap it out with a new one from Sears or HD. See if the noise is reduced. One additional option would be to wrap the PVC with foam to help further deaden the noise.

Reply to
ceraboy

Hi,

I have a waste pump in my basement that is connected via a check valve to our main waste line. The problem I have is the installed check valve makes a loud noise when the pump stops.

Please give me any suggestions for a more quiet check valve.

Thanks

Reply to
Chambers

Hi Matt,

It is braced with metal straps attached to floor support beams.

Reply to
Chambers

Hi,

Hi,

The valve is about a year old. However, I am willing to replace it with a more quite valve.

I'll try your foam rap suggestion.

Thanks

Reply to
Chambers

Hi,

It is horizontal mounted and may be spring checked.

Reply to
Chambers

Are you sure it's only the valve? It may depend on what the pipe is bolted to, e.g. a hollow wall.

Reply to
Matt

Vertical or horizontal mounted? If you have a spring check you can go to a swing check.

Since it is a shitty job, I'd leave it unless it is waking up the neighbors.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You should hear a thud, mine does it too when the pump shuts and the valve closes. Mine is vertically installed.

Reply to
BocesLib

Hi,

Does anyone know of a powered check valve that is more quiet? My thinking is, a powered valve might have more precise closing?

Thanks

Reply to
Chambers

Do a GOOGLE search for: Quiet + Check + Valve

There will be a lot to sort thru, but they are out there.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

You most have lot of back pressure that is why you hear thud, there are some rubber check valves that maybe perhaps quieter but not necessarily as good power check valve I never hear of such thing @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Reply to
DiDo