Check my math and logic (shelves)

I hijacked these plans:

I took the suggestion to make the shelves 32" wide. I am going to make them 7 ft high. 8 ft high would make them pretty hard to move around.

I can't even get my nephew to take out the trash. My plan is to get him to do this to use in the basement. Wish me luck.

2 x 84-inch tall shelves. (7 ft) Shelves 48"x32"

Total material

-----------------------

2 4'x8' plywood 20 2-by-4s 110 3-inch deck screws

-----------------------

(2x1) 1/2-inch-thick 4'x8' plywood. Cut the 4'x8' plywood into three equal pieces that are 32 inches.

(2x4) 2-by-4s 84" (Upright legs)

8 total

(2x6) 2-by-4s 48" (Front and Rear Frames)

6 total

(2x6) 2-by-4s 28" (Side Frames)

4 total

(2x1) 8-foot 2-by-4 Full length pieces for diagonal bracing

2 total

Shelf at 84" to top Shelf at 39" to top Shelf at 06" to top

Reply to
Metspitzer

I like wire shelving units. I buy the medium grade units which come knocked down. They are easy to transport and inexpensive.

Example:

George

didn't understand all, but know from experience WATCH OUT FOR SHELF HEIGHT AND CLEARANCES!

I accidentally made some really useless shelves, looked good on paper, but shelves too close together and ended up

  1. not being able to really 'see' into shelf.
  2. not being able to store anything of significance on the short shelves.
  3. partially caused by forgetting about the THICKNESS of a shelf and subtracting that from clearances.

I know, really dumb. but you had to be there.

Reply to
Robert Macy

plans:

> And I took the suggestion to make the shelves 32" wide.  I am going to

I measured the door at my bedroom and the shelves are too large to go through a regular door. It made me think about making them narrower. I went down to the beadsmen and measured the sliding door going into the basement and it is just wide enough. The plan was to have the stuff cut at Home Depot and put it together in the driveway. I have two skill saws and both are burned out. Why do I still have them? Good question. :)

Since I plan on using screws, if I ever need to move them into a standard door, I could always take them apart.

Reply to
Metspitzer