cheaper to use oil-filled heater and keep thermostat at 62?

Page 2 of 2
If Mama ain't happy, no one gonna be happy. I suggest let her have the heat on 66 like she wants.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

First of all, you are one tough guy. Secondly, I think letting your wife have the house at 66F is reasonable. Life is short, and she's not asking for 72F, which is what a lot of people want. We set our themostat at 65F when we're home, 67F when the wind is bad or the outside temps are really cold, and we live by Lake Ontario. We also sit on the couch with blankets and various small and large animals (does your wife have a lap dog or cat? Free heat!), and that helps, too.
The oil-filled heater idea might work, too, for the times that 66F isn't good enough. We have a housemate on the third floor who uses a long electric radiant space heater to keep her main room comfortable, but I've never tried to figure out what portion of our electric bill that heater is costing us (we always seem to have someone living up there so we never have the opportunity to shut off that appliance to compare usage). It's ok; as long as she's comfortable, that's what matters. Life is short, as I said (and as I try to remind myself often), and it's only money.
I'm not as tough as you think, the thermostat hasn't moved from 66, it's just when she's not in the house I noticed that no one complained about 62 degrees so I got to thinking if using a space heater for the rooms the wife occupies could save me the extra 4 degrees elsewhere in the house. What I'm not sure about is if lowering the thermostat in the rest of the house and using a space heater will save any money due to the higher electric cost. I guess I'll have to buy one and run it for a month to see what the damage ends up being. I was just wondering if anyone else had tried this.
on 1/15/2008 7:36 PM Joe said the following:

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY