Cheaper alternatives to Goof Off

Anyone have any homemade alternatives to Goof Off for removing dried latex paint from carpet.

Thanks.

Reply to
Andy

How much do you have to remove? I would think that normally the cost of Goof-Off would not be all that much. If you have a lot, maybe you should consider replacement or patching it with some from the closet or other out of the way place. How worn is the carpet?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

This is Turtle.

Is it for him or for the Carpet ? Now Scrapping may get boaring !

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

There are only a few small spots, but no matter how careful you are, they always be some splatters.

Reply to
Andy

Methanol, ethanol, or isopropyl.

Reply to
Andy

I've got this guy filtered so I can't tell if he replied or not.

But the answer to your question is denatured.

Reply to
3rd eye

Not if you cover the floors with old sheets before you paint. Of course, then you could always have a spill like that shown for the guy on the ladder. I don't use a ladder, still have had a spill, climbed onto the chair looking up and my right hand holding the paint tray dipped down. Went to put the roller in the paint tray and looked down at the mess. Damn! Stop painting and start cleaning. I haven't had a paint spill since (he said with fingers crossed behind his back).

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Well, the main ingrediant in Goof off is Zylene Nasty stiff

Reply to
m Ransley

Bubba has a high alcohol pee which he uses as a paint remover..... Ask Bubba the Hack

Reply to
m Ransley

Actually, it is spelled Xylene. How do I know??

Well, I am a physician,retired. When I was "working" I had occasion to use a microscope under high power with an oil emersion lens. A drop of oil is placed between the lens and the slide to make contact with both for proper refraction. Xlene was used to clean the lens after use. Two ounces lasted me 30 years!! Yes, nasty stuff!

Norm

Reply to
NSN

"Denatured" means adulterated. Typically something like benzine is added to grain alcohol (ethanol) to make it undrinkable so that it is taxed differently. You could denature orange juice.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Well, I am a physician,retired. When I was "working" I had occasion to use a microscope under high power with an oil emersion lens. CY: Sure it isn't an "immersion" lens?

A drop of oil is placed between the lens and the slide to make contact with both for proper refraction. CY: Sounds it. The microscopes I've used in school were open air units -- we never used anything that fancy.

Xlene was used to clean the lens after use. Two ounces lasted me 30 years!! Yes, nasty stuff! CY: Is that similar to Xylene?

Norm

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Since we are correcting each other.... either say "isoproponol" or "isorpropyl alcohol".

The word "isopropyl" is an adjective. It requires a subject.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

William W. Plummer wrote "Denatured" means adulterated. Typically something like benzine is added to grain alcohol (ethanol) to make it undrinkable so that it is taxed differently. You could denature orange juice.

===========================

I also would have preferred if he had said "denatured ethanol" or just "ethyl alcohol." That would have avoided any possible confusion.

But "denatured alcohol" is universally regarded to be ethanol which has been purposely tainted to make it unfit for drinking but still usable for one or more applications while avoiding the federal requirement that it be taxed as consumable alcohol. To the best of my knowledge, there is no federal mandate to denature any other form of alcohol - hence the assumption that denatured alcohol is always ethanol-based. I'm pretty certain that is how any dictionary would define "denatured alcohol."

There are quite literally hundreds of denaturing chemicals which are carefully selected for particular applications. For example, there are application for which methanol is a good choice for denaturing ethanol, but this would be a very bad choice for ethanol-based rubbing alcohol due to the toxic nature of methanol absorbed through the skin. And, of course, all chemicals used for producing denatured alcohol must meet strict federal requirements which mandate that the chemical can not be easily separated from the ethanol.

Gideon

Reply to
Gideon

OOOPS !! Yes, immersion. I missed spelling 101 while in Med school. I was too busy playing around with Xlene which resulted from the partial evaporation of my Xylene.

Norm

Reply to
NSN

You're right and it also takes off oil paint as well as I found out when I wiped off a baseboard. I found it easier to just carefully peel off the spot.

Reply to
Andy

use WD-40 if you already have it around the house.

You're right and it also takes off oil paint as well as I found out when I wiped off a baseboard. I found it easier to just carefully peel off the spot.

Reply to
Bonnie Jean