Cheap solid playground surfaces for 4-6' height falls?

Anyone know of any materials that could be used for this.. around a swingset etc..
Ive found kid kushion at 2.5" for $26 for a 2x2 tile which is good for 6 feet.. but this is really expensive, even if I did just around the clubhouse area that would be minimally 10 tiles if not more.
Any thoughts on alternatives?
I dont really want mulch.. I'd rather have my 1 year old eating grass than rubber or bark lol
Thanks
Maybe a year old baby shouldn't be alone on a slide or swing. I remember, they are fast and quiet. I don't have any better suggestions.
BetsyB

markm75 wrote:

Hay.

Screened sand.

Sand, but then you have the problem of animals taking a dump in there.
markm75 wrote:

Pea gravel, put a heavy layer down. It seems counterintuitive but it works.

it, and older kids will <throw> it. Sand is rough on knees and attracts cats, so that is out. I still recommend turf and tall grass. If the divots bother you, make the swingset movable so you can rotate the wear spots. Unless this is a multi-kid swingset, the wear should not be too bad.
aem sends...

The two parks I take my kids to have the cedar chips and it doesn't look bad. Cushions the falls ok too.
aemeijers wrote:

Somehow I survived it all and it seems to be working well at the playground down the street.
Sand is rough on knees and attracts

Note that sand/gravel works well only if it's fairly uniform in size. If you use a mixed/random size fill, it will pack down like a driveway.

The pea gravel sounds interesting.. but yeah.. I'd rather not have a substance that can be picked up or eaten (lol)...
Sure those rubber pads can get hot, but they are pretty durable and convienent, but expensive IE: Kid kushion
Those are the ones I was hoping to find cheaper somehow.. or a cheap way to "emulate" them.
markm75 wrote:

Actually cedar chips is what you want... Deep, about 6".
Any solid surface will hold nasty things like bird droppings and will get hot in the summer and cold in the winter.
Cedar doesn't splinter or rot, so it's a good choice. You want the fresh stuff, right out of the grinder, not mulch.