Cheap receptacles vs heavy duty

Hi,

Is there a good opinion about choosing the proper receptacle. When browsing HD there are receptacles which range from 50 cents up to 6 dollars. There are some in between for around $2.00 which state commercial contractor quality. I have replaced my older two prong outlets with the $2.00 ones for equipment such as table lights, computer, TV ect. I am wondering however whether these are also ok for other equipment such as refrigerators or washing machines or should those go on a heavy duty one?

The majority of my wiring in the house is 20amp.

Thanks, SF

Reply to
SMF

I've used the "50 cent" ones exclusively for every position. No problems. If one seems to get a bit loose from over use, then I just pop in a new one. there's not many places in the house where stuff gets plugged in and out a lot.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I recommend using the good ones (Spec Grade) whenever you need something with a good push in type terminal where you clamp down on the push in thing with a screw or you need more than two things connected to the outlet (so as to avoid wire nutting). This is because you have only 2 places for wiring on the regular receptacles vs 4 on a spec grade. Do not use the regular push in terminals on any receptacles, under any circumstances.

The other consideration is space. The cheap residential grade outlets (and switches) are slightly smaller, and in a cramped environment, that can sometimes make a difference.

Reply to
scott21230

_________________________ A good way to save where you can and ensure good service at the same time is determine which outlets will see lots of use - by lots of use I mean stuff gets plugged in and unplugged on an almost daily basis. Countertop and hallway outlets definetely qualify for commercial grade outlets(Remember most codes require GFCI within certain distance of the sink!) Circuits with 10 or more receptacles - go with commercial and use pressure-plate - back insert tighten with side screws.

Receptacles behind furniture or termination points - $1 receptacles okay since the only things plugged in are floor lamps and/or air purifiers - and are never unplugged.

-ChrisCoaster

Reply to
ChrisCoaster

First I like spec grade stuff, and I also switched over to decora, they are automaticly upgraded.

You mention something that concerns me, you said you were replacing 2 prong ones, are you verifying you have an equipment ground? Just to be that weird shop teacher, safety first, and only qualified people should work on electrical circuits. ;)

tom @

Humble Tom

Assuming the furniture is fixed in place. Do you use superglue for that?

Reply to
Sam E

Hmm...at Home Depot at least the decora receptacles appear to have identical guts to the "regular" receptacles. They didn't even carry spec grade decora receptacles.

I recently did something similar to "ChrisCoaster". Kitchen, bathrooms, and garage/shop got spec grade receptacles. Rest of the house got the cheapies.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

long term better quality is superior. I DONT like fixing things repeatedly...........

better quality has screws to hold wires when tightened

Reply to
hallerb

I use spec grade for all replacements or any spot I suspect will profit from the upgrade from the contractor special 27¢ jobs.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I've never seen one without screws.

Reply to
CJT

I have myself, but if pressed I doubt that I could tell the difference.

I think that's really the essence of the question, what is the difference. On the surface there doesn't appear to be any.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Some of the Quickwire 15 amp receptacles don't have screws.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

I guess you get what you pay for. My house was built in 1978 and none have been replaced yet. Not worth saving $1.50 if I'm going to have to replace it in a few years.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Funny you should mention that. I went today for an outlet. There were some for $.69, and some for $3.49. I looked for about two seconds and bought the one for $3.49. For $.69, how much could it cost to have it built, and how much quality materials could it contain?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I just went down to check the left overs I have. I found only switches, but both cooper and leviton say they 'spec grade'. I didn't see anything on the box, but the yokes had the imprint. Sorry these were switches not receptacles.

tom @

Humble Tom

About as much as all the other receptacles in your house. Did the $3.49 have spiral springs behind the contacts, come apart easily for repairs, have gold or silver contacts, and a cute little light to find them in the dark?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Thank you all for the responses.

I am concluding that for an item such as a refrigerator or a washing machine which never get unplugged there would be no need to replace with a heavy duty one?

I was wondering if the innards of the outlet (of cheap verses expensive) as to whether they transmit electricity differently, or is the heft to a heavy duty one just for holding plugs in because it's stronger?

Thanks aga>SMF wrote:

Reply to
SMF

I've taken quite a few out of my house; push-in back wire only. So far I've got most of the basement and first floor the way I want it but have done nothing with the second floor :(

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Ayup, that's the point. I imagine the "upgrades" to my house were done around 1980ish and *most* of the receps wouldn't hold a plug securely.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

They do sell ones that at least look like spec grade, but not in contractor packs. If you buy the 10-packs you get the cheap ones. I'm only talking about Lowe's here though as I've started to avoid HD, more hassle than it's worth to go there.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel