Cheap peel-n-stick floor tile doesn't stick

I bought a small batch of inexpensive vinyl peel and stick floor tile for a 3'x15' basement closet. This closet doesn't get a lot of use, so wearability is really not an issue (that's why I bought the cheap tiles). I simply wanted to cover the floor. If I recall correctly, this floor was painted with an oil-based floor paint about 15 years ago. The paint is sound and appears to be adhering well (the paint stayed on the floor when I picked up one of the tiles). The adhesive on the tile doesn't appear to be lacking - in fact, in a few places, it squeezed out from between the joints. I should also note that drops of paint and poly from previous projects are difficult to remove from this floor, so it doesn't appear to be an oil or wax problem. I tried putting bricks on the tiles, hoping that ensuring contact between the adhesive and the floor would help, but, after clamping it overnight, there was no difference.

What can I use to stick these tiles to the floor?

Reply to
Mike

Have you tried staples?

Reply to
Goedjn

I'm thinking leaving the bricks would probably work... :)

To OP, what do the installation guidelines say about suitable surfaces for application and preparation?

I've not used a peel 'n stick product in over 40 years so no clue as to how well any of them currently work. We put them down in the kitchen of the frat house back in the early 60s (uncle the Armstrong dealer donated a bunch of overstock to us). They worked reasonably well over a subfloor until the house was sold some 25 years later...

Reply to
dpb

a heat gun or hair dryer will help. but likely you will need some adhesive as well

Reply to
longshot

It's a concrete basement floor.

Reply to
Mike

I'll leave them for a couple more days and see what happens.

Under "Suitable Surfaces", it lists "Painted floors - where paint is firmly bonded" As I said, this appears to be the case, particularly since the paint stays on the floor when I lift a tile. It was no more specific than that. It also gave the standard "free of dirt, oil and wax" warning.

I installed Armstrong self-stick tiles on a concrete basement floor in my previous house about 20 years ago and they still looked good five years later when we moved. They were a bit more expensive than these, though.

Reply to
Mike

Tried a hair dryer - it made zero difference. What sort of adhesive would be suitable? Would I need to remove the existing adhesive from the tile backs?

Reply to
Mike

Other than then wonder what you did about cleaning first and the other respondent's comment about possibly being rough rather than really smooth, not much more in the way of ideas.

Obviously, you could just trowel on some mastic and lay them as if they weren't sticky buns, but that sorta' defeats the purpose... :) I wouldn't think it would make any difference about the existing adhesive if you did that...

Reply to
dpb

They need to float.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Something along these lines, BUT ensure it is compatible with vinyl.

I have a can of spray adhesive. For a temporary application spray one side, allow to tack and then set. For permanent application spray both sides, allow to tack and then set.

Good Luck!

-- Oren

Oren

clipped

I wonder if the floor could have enough moisture to keep the tile from sticking. Have you tried a tile somewhere else (dryer)? Also, try scuffing the paint, clean it well with denatured alcohol...let fumes clear and ventilate well. Then, try the hairdryer before you apply the tile. If it doesn't work, paint on some faux tiles - fun to do :o)

Reply to
Norminn

You can dick around all month, since your time doesn't seem to be worth anything. Or, just buy something half-way decent and be done with it.

Do you have a fat kid or wife? Sit their butt in the closet for a few days. It will be good for everyone involved.

Reply to
C. Batch

One thing you could do is buy more expensive ones, best if you buy at the same store. If they work, I'd return the first ones and point out that I had bought the second ones because the first didn't work.

Although at many stores these days, they dojn't care a bit why you are returning them. Are we talking about more than a box? If so, a lesson for all of us: When putting down tiles, don't put down more than a few to see if they will stick. And at least not more than a box.

Reply to
mm