Cheap or expensive?

We have a lanai off our master bedroom that opens onto a walled garden. There are two arches, each about 66" x 82", for passage from lanai to garden.
Originally, we intended to have those arches remain open but the mud daubers *LOVE* to build on the lanai so I decided to enclose the arches with French screen doors. The lanai faces east and the summer morning sun is fierce here in Florida so the secondary reason was to diminish the sunlight.
My total costs for both pairs was a bit over $550. Of that, $275 was for lumber (rough); the next biggest cost - about $90 -was for screening materials (7/16 x 1" aluminum channel material (set into dados in rails & stiles), the rest was for hinges, locks, surface bolts, some ply for a bending jig, door closers, weather strip material, paint, etc.
That seemed kinda much to me so I just Googled a few places to see what I could have bought them for. I'm glad I made them myself...prices ranged from about $400-$979. And that was just the doors. At one place - the $979 place - having them pre-hung doubled the price.
Admittedly, everything seems high to me now but I am semi-stuck in the past. What do you think, was $550 about right?
Here are a couple of pix...
One set of doors
http://www.floridaloghouse.net/dadioh/south-lanai-doors.jpg
Close-up of screen channel...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net/dadioh/lanai-door-screen-channel.jpg
_____________________
As long as I'm posting, I might as well expound on some of the difficulties encountered. The primary one was that the masonry arches were not symmetrical; nor were they plumb. Hell, they weren't even symmetrical side to side; i.e., the short side on each of a door pair was different. That means I couldn't just measure the space to fill and build a door X4 to fit, had to make each one individually. A pain.
The lanai was tiled, did it years ago. I wanted the doors to abut something on all edges to help deter insects. That meant I had to cut down a strip of tile about 6" wide - concrete under it too - then retile so I had about a 3/4" drop for the door to close against. I could have avoided that by using door sweeps; if I had it to do over I might do that. Nah, better this way :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
[...]

"dadiOH" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------- For a minute there, thought you were describing a boat <Grin>.
Nice work.
IMHO, you got off dirt cheap.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Been there, done that. On my 42' ketch. Complete with course and raffee.
Cut and fit...cut and fit...
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Are you sure you're not boasting....err....I mean posting so that we can see the really nice doors you made?
Kidding! Not about the nice doors, about the boasting. ;-)
$550 for 4 custom arched doors, each a different out-of-plumb size...installed? Dirt cheap.
Send your plans to a contractor and see what they come back with. I'll bet they would be over $550 each.
Per dadiOH:

Can't speak to Florida, but up here near Philadelphia we had a set of French floor-to-ceiling doors put in between the rec room and the stairs that lead to the rest of the house.
Total was about $1,800 - and the doors are nothing special... quite the opposite, in fact.
Should'a hired you.... -)
--
Pete Cresswell

Exquisite work !!!
--
Best regards
Han

What the hell is a lanai?
On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:20:14 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

A covered (usually back) porch.
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Lanai is an Hawaiian word referring to - as snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz said - a covered porch. It is always open on the long side, can be open on either or both ends as well. They can be at the back, side or front of a house. Most condos too have a lanai although they are usually pretty narrow.
Some of them are really nice...the closed wall can be opened up via sliding doors resulting in a large area that flows uninterrupted from the inside living area to the outdoors. Works in Hawaii, almost nowhere else in the US (not through the entire year, at least)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

That looks great, you should hire out as a handyperson.
"dadiOH" wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------- Based on your descriptions, my guess is you are looking at $1,500/panel, $6,000 for the job, for custom fit and hanging of those door panels.
Might get a break and get the job done for $5,000, but I doubt it.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Phew! I sure am glad I had a shop built when we built the house :)
--

dadiOH