Cheap import tools and product liability (was: Violent Electric Drill Accident)

AFAIK there isn't. It just helps enforce getting the hot and neutral plugged in correctly. Sometimes the different size blades don't get the job done because some ham handed person forces them in wrong. But with the ground prong too, they'd have to cut it off to get the plug in wrong, and that sort of tampering voids any claim they might have.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Tricky choice when the alternative is to deal with people who ignore the Geneva Conventions on the treatment of POWs

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Well, the instructions which came with mine addressed that. They said to move as far to each side as posible first to cut through the bark on the underside of the limb. I realize the geometry to make that happen is kinda tough unless you add some VERY long extension ropes and can get quite far off to the side. But, that's what they said to do, and I suppose some undercutting is better than nohing....

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Nearly any "house brand" item from Harbor Freight will occasionally be put on sale for 1/2 price. Currently I don't see any on sale but there are two on sale for Inside Track Club members. Item # 43471 is currently $15.97, usually $29.99 and item # 42203 is $12.97, normally $27.99.

But the best deal I've found is from Homier Mobile Merchants,

They have a traveling truckload tool sale that comes through the area a couple of times a year and the last two times they were here they had them for $5.99! I bought two about a year ago and I'm still on the first one. Of course the 2nd one may fall apart as soon as I take it out of the box but for that price I won't complain too much. :-)

On their Web site there is a link to sign up for notification of when they will be in your area. Since the Harbor Freight store opened here in Charlotte they haven't actually come to Charlotte but they've been to nearly every city around me, usually within 20-30 miles or so. A month ago they were in the area and had autodark welding helmets for $39.99!

Keith Marshall

Three-prong plugs are far less likely to "fall out" or get bent if stressed. The flat shape of the North American 15A live/neutral prongs is a big mistake, I notice that most overseas plugs use no flat prongs at all, an obvious improvement over the US design. In any event, the poor design of the US 2-prong plug is supplemented by a nice sturdy circular ground prong in the 3-prong version.

I do not like seeing any part of a live prong exposed under any circumstances, but with US two-prong plugs a slight sideways pull will leave some of the prong clearly visible. This doesn't happen nearly so readily with a three-prong plug, and I believe that's a safety advantage even if the ground isn't used.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

America Basher :^)!! I would agree, but then again the US doesn't use

240VAC for your kids to play with :^). So the best thing, IMO, would be a better designed plug using only 120VAC. I can't tell you how many times I've shocked myself with 120, hurts a little but no damage. I imagine 240 has a bit more of a kick.

John

Please note that my return address is wrong due to the amount of junk email I get. So please respond to this message through the newsgroup.

Reply to
John Flanagan

That connector has existed for many decades now: the 120VAC 15A Twist-Lock. In fact, a lot of the equipment I own has either 15A or 30A Twist-Lock plugs.

Now if the plug didn't cost more than most appliances, THEN we'd have a winner!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa