Cheap gen stat opinions

I bit the bullet and bought a cheap generator, figuring that I wouldn't be using it more than a couple of hours per year and even then only to drive a gas furnace blower.

After playing with it for a couple of days, I'd be interesting to know how it's "performance" stacks up considering the following.

It puts out between 121-125 volts no load... 60.5 to close to 62 hertz.

With a 1500 watt load, it runs around 118 volts, 59-60 hertz... switching the load and on ever 30 seconds or so has no effect on the output...

It handles a 6000 but air conditioner well, staying around 118 volts when run normally, no problem with start up.

When the AC unit is cycled off and then back on quickly, the voltage drops to around 90, and stays there for minute or so, then catches up and runs around 118 volts ( when I've pulled this same trick on the house wiring, it almost always blows the breaker).

The unit is rated at 2500 watt continuous.

Reply to
Dane Brickman

I shoulda timed it, but it probably wasn't a full minute... dunno the amps, it's an 1989 model 6000 btu... and I may not have been clear as to the situation. The generator handles the load fine when the AC is operated normally... like turning it one and letting it cycle as it's supposed to do... the problem happens when I turn it off and then immediately turn it back on... it apparently "freezes" the compressor or something and even when I do this on my house circuit, protected by a 20 amp fuse, the fuse will almost always blow, so I'm not surprised that that this cheap generator has problems too.

Reply to
Dane Brickman

It drops to 90v for a full minute; or that just an expression and really more like a few seconds?!

How many amps is the A/C? Odds are it is a major overload for the generator any you don't have voltage regulation; but a minute...

Reply to
Wade Lippman

"> I shoulda timed it, but it probably wasn't a full minute... dunno the amps,

That is not something you should do. A/C compressor is trying to start against full pressure in the lines. It stalls and pulls 150% or more of its rated current. Often the protective device on the motor will cycle in these situations. Wait a few minutes for the pressure to bleed down before restarting an A/C. Normal start will also pull large currents, but only for a few seconds.

Reply to
Paul A

I know, but it was an old clunker that I had stored in a shed until I could dispose of it safely, so I figured that I could use it to see how the gen worked before I burned up a "real" piece of gear. Considering the draw, I'm thinking this cheap little unit did pretty well or am I missing something?

Reply to
Dane Brickman

Depends how you look at it. A good generator would have tripped out rather than putting out 90v, which is quite capable of damaging anything the least bit sensitive.

It is kinda like removing the GFCI from your bathroom because it keeps tripping when you use your hairdryer. Sure, the plain outlet keeps working, but does that mean it is doing pretty well?

Reply to
Wade Lippman