Cheap fix for deteriorating roof?

I have barn/shed on the opposite side of my 18 acres. I only use it to store stuff I really should throw out, and rarely even see it. But... it might have value to the next owner. It is about 20x22 with little pitch.
The shingles are maybe 30 or 40 years old and in pretty bad condition, though there are no leaks (that I am aware of) but it is just a matter of time. Obviously the right thing to do is to rip off the old shingles and put new ones down, but I really hate the thought of that expense for something I don't use or even see. Is there a cheap way to buy some time on this? Plastic sheeting, some sort of spray, etc? The next owner can rip the shingles off if they care about it.
Thanks.
Or maybe this my chance to learn roofing. It is probably the easiest roof I will ever encounter; it is small, low, with little pitch.
Toller wrote:

The very little pitch is a possible savings right there. Shingles are not meant for low pitch roof, you need roll roofing and that is even cheaper (and faster) than shingles, Measure the 'run' (width of roof) then find the 'rise' (how much higher the high point of the roof is above the low point). The lumber yard can tell you if you need roll or shingle. They will also give you a list plus cost of everything you need. At least they will if you shop real lumber yards, not the big box stores. You will need about 4 1/2 square of roofing material (including felt either 30 lb or 50lb), nails, flashing. Should come out in the $160-$200 range all up. Full instructions on application from deck preparation to how to lay the felt to nailing is included on the roofing wrap.
Harry K
Hello there, There is an elastomeric white roof coating you can buy at Walmart. The product offers a 7 year warranty for whatever good that does. Put in on my garage spreading it with an old broom, and it is prolonging my garage roof right now for two years or so. Think it is named Coolseal... 5 gal. about $60. peace, Will
Harry K wrote:

You can probably put a second layer of shingles on for about $150 for shingles.

you can put a coating right over the existing shingles and it will work much better as by sealing the shingles you will stop water from getting under shingles are rally for pitched roofs
http://www.energy-seal.com /
Wayne
Toller wrote:

Wayne wrote: you can put a coating right over the existing shingles and it will work much better as by sealing the shingles you will stop water from getting
under shingles are rally for pitched roofs
Trust me. Way more than likely, a coating won't help here, Wayne. Tom

Get a real newsreader. Or-
If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use the "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers.
wayne wrote:

Forget adding any 'coating' to a failing roof. It is basic snake oil. After you add it, you can then do the job right in a year or two with the added fun of getting the coating off as well as the rotten shingles.
Harry K
Toller wrote:

Actually you do use it every day. It protects your property and without it that barn will be totally trashed in no time.

While I generally agree with the comments already made, I will suggest that the condition of the current shingles may mean you can not shingle over them. They need to be all flat, if there is already more than one layer or if the are not all flat, you really need to remove what you have there first. Doing anything else is a total waste of your time and money.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I am a farmer. Find an old barn being torn down that has a steel roof. Reuse the steel. Fill all nail holes with silicone caulk as you go. Be sure to use nails or screws designed for barn steel. They have neoprene washers on them. Otherwise use a liquid roof coating and brush it on, but that might cost almost as much as new shingles (if you do the labor yourself).
You might get the steel for free just for removing it, you could even get the whole building, and if the lumber is still useful, it's worth the effort. 90% of my whole farm I built with used lumber.
Mark Mark
Toller wrote:Or maybe this my chance to learn roofing. It is probably the easiest roof I will ever encounter; it is small, low, with little pitch.
Well, the instructions are written on every bundle! Any questions, just email me. I'll be away this coming weekend 'til about Thursday. Tom