Cheap carpeting? Not my fault?

Page 1 of 2
Hello, I have lived in an apartment with two kids for the last five years. Everything that spills on the carpet leaves a stain. The carpet looks gross. Cleaning up a mess just makes a bigger stain.
Do landlords have access to cheap carpet that allows the above senario to happen? IF you have the answer, please don't spare any details. Thanks in advance.

What can possible spill on the carpet? You're supposed to keep the food on a plate, and the beer in the glass ...
Says the guy with wooden floors ...
--
Best regards
Han
geo pearl wrote:

Business of most of all landlords are to make money with least expenses. Cheap carpet, untreated carpet(Scotch guard) what not. Also Spend some time to learn the technique needed for cleaning up certain stuff when accident happens. You can clean up nicely or make the mess worse.

They quit making scotch guard when they found every living thing absorbed it. Then they came up with a substitute thats not near as effective.
Greg
Add to the list.
DDT Freon Scotchgard
They quit making scotch guard when they found every living thing absorbed it. Then they came up with a substitute thats not near as effective.
Greg

Yes, cheap carpets exist, so do cheap pads...
It is about the yard weight in ounces and the type of backing material...
With two kids you should own a small upright carpet spot cleaner so you can take up the spots while they are still wet... You also want to BLOT not RUB spots when you are trying to soak them up as rubbing only ensures that the spill penetrates deeper into the piles of the carpeting and spreads out...
I would not worry about the condition of the carpets after a five or six year tenancy, that would be considered normal wear and tear and all of the carpeting would be replaced before a new tenant moves in if you left at this point and it would have no impact on any damage deposit as normal wear and tear is not "damage"...
Damage is specific breakages which are not normal in nature or are unusual in character or caused by some neglect on the part of the occupant (i.e. you have a cheap bathroom with a laminate floor and you don't take the proper care with your shower curtain and the floor is damaged and peeling up against the shower)...

Of course if your were the landlord you would have a different opinon of normal wear and tear. I'd say 10 years would be a more normal life for carpet. Has the OP even cleaned it in 5 years? If a tenent destroyed my carpet in 5 years I'd keep part of the deposit to pay for 1/2 the cost of new carpet. Tenent doesn't like it, they can sue me. So, I'd say the OP does indeed have something to worry about.

Like the spills from 2 kids. If a tenent spills something that leaves a visible stain on 5 year old carpet, even after it's been professionally clean, I say they are on the hook for it. Add to that the landlord has the security deposit and good luck winning.
(i.e. you

It's carpet, not laminate. Wandering again.

And you would be laughed out of court when you were sued potentially having to pay the tenants 3x the amount you illegally withheld...
There is no way cheap nylon cut pile carpeting is going to last 10 years unless you treat your house like it is a museum... The nap of the carpet itself breaks down with the back and forth traffic of one or two people before that long... That is normal wear and tear just like minor defects/dirt on the walls which are repainted between tenants...
If the landlord is really a cheap asshole then they could potentially get away 3with just cleaning the carpet but the "fresh new" carpet is often a selling point...
Damage is specific and stems from misuse, not normal occupancy activities... Sorry but carpets get dirty under normal use and it is not the tenants responsibility to have them cleaned unless that is specifically enumerated in the lease agreement...
Oh, by the way, you can fuck yourself if you don't like my examples trader4...

More BS. The 2 or 3X penalties that some states have apply only if a landlord fails to return the deposit in a specified period AND also fails to give a reason why in writing. If a landlord has a receipt for new carpet that was put in just prior to the tenant moving in and 5 years later withholds security money to cover it because even after cleaning it's obviously stained from spills, then it is *not* illegally withheld. The landlord had a legitimately arguable reason, even if later a court doesn't agree with it. Those 3X penalties are levied against the landlord that doesn't even notify the tenant why they are keeping the security.
And maybe in your world it's normal and acceptable for a tenant to destroy carpet in just 5 years. But I bet in most courts, the landlord would get something to cover it. And the landlord has the securtity deposit, so you telling the tenant that there is no need to worry, is laughable. The landlord can keep the amount and then it's up to the tenant to try to get it back. That, in my world, is indeed something to worry about. Most tenants don't want to go through the process and just forget about it.

And your evidence that the carpet is "cheap" is?

Well, you must live like a pig. Because it is the responsibility of the tenant to clean the carpet, just like they are expected to clean the bathrooms, kitchen floor, etc. Only a pig would live in an apartment for 5 years and not clean the carpet.

Clueless as usual.
It's all part of a vast, left wing globalist conspiracy. Rich white men in board rooms, plan how to make your life miserable. Millionaires, and Billionaires. All of them liberal Democrats.
Next time, vote Republican, and your life will improve.
Hello, I have lived in an apartment with two kids for the last five years. Everything that spills on the carpet leaves a stain. The carpet looks gross. Cleaning up a mess just makes a bigger stain.
Do landlords have access to cheap carpet that allows the above senario to happen? IF you have the answer, please don't spare any details. Thanks in advance.
geo pearl;2916601 Wrote: > Hello, I have lived in an apartment with two kids for the > last five years. Everything that spills on the carpet leaves > a stain. The carpet looks gross. Cleaning up a mess > just makes a bigger stain. > > Do landlords have access to cheap carpet that allows the > above senario to happen? IF you have the answer, please > don't spare any details. Thanks in advance.
The answer to your question is NO. Landlords, like myself, buy the carpets for our apartments from the local carpet retailers just like homeowners do.
But, since we buy carpet much more often than homeowners do, we generally deal with the "commercial" sales people and get a better price. Also, because many of us are in the business of maintaining and renovating our properties, we tend to know a lot more about construction and renovation materials and practices than homeowners do. So, we know much more about the carpets we're buying so as to ensure we're buying the carpet that best meets our needs.
Just as there are different ways of skinning cats, there are different styles of managing rental properties. In my own building I install only SOLUTION DYED LEVEL LOOP NYLON CARPETS.
That's because: NYLON - is the strongest of the 3 plastic fibers (nylon, polyester, olefin) used to make carpet in North America, so nylon fiber makes for the longest wearing carpet. Over 90 percent of the commercial carpeting sold in the USA is made from nylon fiber.
LEVEL LOOP - means the loops of the nylon yarns are all equal in height, and there's a natural resilience to a loop, thereby ensuring the normally long lifespan of a nylon carpet.
SOLUTION DYED - means that the fibers used to make the carpet don't get their colour from dyes applied to the outer surface of the fiber (which is what you get with conventionally dyed carpets). Instead, the colour comes from tiny coloured solid particles (called "pigments") which were added to the nylon as it was being drawn into a fiber. Consequently, the colour of the carpet comes from these pigments suspended in the otherwise clear or transluscent nylon plastic very much like the raisins are suspended in raisin bread.
By using solution dyed level loop nylon carpet, you're getting the longest wearing carpet available AND because those coloured pigments that give the carpet it's colour are encased in nylon plastic, you can use bleach straight out of the jug to remove stains from solution dyed carpets without harming the carpet. That's because the bleach never actually comes into contact with the pigments because they're encased in nylon. With a conventionally dyed carpet, the colour comes from coloured dye molecules on the outside of whatever kind of fiber the carpet is made of.
And, in fact, the least expensive carpeting commonly available is Olefin carpeting, and ALL 100% Olefin carpets are solution dyed, so that you can use bleach to remove stains from them. But, Olefin is a weaker fiber and so level loop Olefin carpets simply don't stand up to foot traffic as well as level loop nylon carpets do.
Or, at least, I'd like to think that a smart landlord would learn about carpeting and purchase the kind of carpeting that best meets his needs.
--
nestork

Don't know about the cheapness of the carpet, but are you planning on moving out soon? If not, you've been there 5 years and so are approaching "normal wear and tear" for the lifetime of the carpet, which might be somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-10 years for a rental unit as they don't put in very high quality carpet.
When you move out, if the carpet condition becomes a problem and they withhold deposit money, you need to ask them how much the carpet cost when it was put in. You are not responsible for the full cost of the carpet, but a pro-rated amount depending on the number of years you've been there. If you've been there long enough you'll owe nothing on the carpet as they usually replace it anyway.
Good luck
--
charles

I rented an apartment for six months recently. I spilled a cup of coffee in the living room (much of it into my laptop :-( ) and had a small smudge by the front door. I got most of the coffee stain out but the smudge by the door didn't want to come out. The apartment complex cleans the carpets between residents and evidently they got the rest of the coffee stain out. The bastards dinged me for *half* of my security deposit ($25) for the smudge by the door. YOY do apartment complexes use cream colored carpets? Maybe I should see Judge Judy, too. ;-)

Half of your security deposit was $25?? Sounds cheap to me.
--
charles

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 17:25:36 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Charles Bishop) wrote:

Yup. ;-)
I thought it was a joke when I rented the place. "I just got a six month lease with only a $50 deposit? Kewl!" I did pay, I think, $50 a month more for the six month lease but it was still an unbelievable deal.

I ordered carpet for my family room directly from a mill in Georgia many years ago. Highest quality I have in the house, at a great price.
I've been planning to dig out the receipt since we're considering new carpet for the living room. I'll be interested to see if the price/quality stills beats what I can find locally.
On 8/27/2012 7:04 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

We have some rentals. The problem with the buy direct thing is having to deal with moving and installing it. I have been using a local carpet place for years and they are very competitive and have great installers. They beat big box and those direct from the mills places. Usually all I need to do is send them the dimensions and the job is done at a fair price. And I certainly don't buy junk as the usual business people are evil comments suggest because junk carpet is a get what you pay for thing.

See my response to your other post about having to "handle and install bulky goods".
When I bought my carpet from the mill, it was delivered right into my garage and the installer and his helper carried it into the house.
I never handled it nor installed it and it was cheaper overall than if I had gone to a local store. Sure, there was a little more coordination effort on my part, but really nothing that was bothersome. In fact, I'd rather enjoy playing a part in these types of things.

Here's a very big detail: You are an idiot!!
It's not your fault!? Why are things being spilled on the carpet? Are your kids spastic? Why are things that are spillable allowed in the room with a carpet? Why does cleaning the mess make it bigger? Do you really expect us to believe this crap?
I can clean a red wine stain off a white rug with plain water and a bath towel. So can you. I can purchase a $200 Hoover carpet cleaning machine good enough to remove bloody dog stool stains. So can you.
Apparently, the only thing you are capable of doing is avoiding responsibility and blaming others.
nb
--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
On Monday, August 27, 2012 9:08:45 AM UTC-4, notbob wrote:

Children cannot be restricted or disciplined in any way.

Isn't the proper technique for cleaning a spill on a rug is to rub-rub-rub in a widening pattern?

I believe that the OP is indeed so ignorant and incompetent that he created this little "drama" for himself.