Cheap 2-pin wood moisture meter

Page 2 of 2
DAGS on the wreck, this has been asked and answered already. Short version: the HF version doesn't work.
:DAGS on the wreck, this has been asked and answered already. Short :version: the HF version doesn't work. : :H Link?
:DAGS on the wreck, this has been asked and answered already. Short :version: the HF version doesn't work. : :H DAGS means what?
I see where you said you didn't care for the Harbor Freight one and sent it back and had decided to get a better one:
Back in 2003:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_frm/thread/87da0f2d32ec1903 /
Yes that's the one. Isn't it a pretty direct answer to your question?
Or, to get to the point, did you DAGS first or post the question first?
I hate to be net nanny, but it seems that's what's happened.
With self-loathing, H
:Yes that's the one. Isn't it a pretty direct answer to your question? : :Or, to get to the point, did you DAGS first or post the question first? : :I hate to be net nanny, but it seems that's what's happened. : :With self-loathing, :H
Oh, no problem. Now I see what you meant by DAGS. Yes, I did DAGS first (Do a Google search). However, I didn't do it in such a way as to bring that thread to me attention, my bad, I guess. IOW, I could have done it more thoroughly. Anyway, I don't think I've done a ton of harm here.
Could you comment on why you were dissatisfied with the HF meter? You didn't in the thread. Thanks.
Dan
No, it's I who must apologize for net nannying. I think everyone who's been watching a NG for over 5 years or so begins to be annoyed by the greater percentage of posts. Growing old and getting cranky I guess...
But to answer your question more specifically: when I first bought the HF unit it seemed poorly constructed. Seemed more like a cheap plastic toy. Performance was equivalent. It had several "levels" of measurement, but they didn't measure accurately or even consistently. I suppose it would be OK as long as you don't mind a error margin of +/- 40% moisture content.
Returned it and got some clamps.
Now happy, H
hylourgos wrote:

I'd say, for Dan's application, the lack of accurate measurement wouldn't be that big a problem if it was consistent -- he doesn't really know what the moisture numbers in the attic should be, and is mostly looking for a spot that's different from all the rest. But the lack of consistency sounds like it's definitely a problem.
I suspect that there's also the problem, even if you did buy it for something like Dan's attic, that in the future there's this temptation to use it for something else and actually believe the numbers it puts out.
Meanwhile, what I'd suggest to Dan as a practical solution is finding some sort of paper that changes color if it gets damp (I'm not sure exactly what to suggest, but some marks with a water-based pen on blotter paper ought to do fine for a start), and thumbtack bits of it up all over the attic in likely spots, and then after a few rainy weeks go up and look at them again and see if any got wet.
- Brooks

DAGS=do a Google search
Sorry, forgot to add:
DAGS=do a Google search
this helps avoid repetitive topics on the NG
Cheers, H