Cheap 2-pin wood moisture meter

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking at the following at Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber'57
It's $20, and I wonder if it's worth the money. My initial purpose for it is to find leaks in my attic. I just had total roof job done to my very old house and there's a lot of discolored wood up there and have to guess if wood is wet or not. I figure the meter might make finding leaks a lot easier than digging my finger nail into a piece of wood or rubbing it with my hand.
Also, it might come in handy when trying to determine if wood is moist or not. For instance, is it ready to prime/paint yet? Might it warp or check unless allowed to dry further? Maybe picking out lumber at Home Depot, etc.
Thanks for any information.
Dan
I'm looking at the following at Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber'57
It's $20, and I wonder if it's worth the money. My initial purpose for it is to find leaks in my attic. I just had total roof job done to my very old house and there's a lot of discolored wood up there and have to guess if wood is wet or not. I figure the meter might make finding leaks a lot easier than digging my finger nail into a piece of wood or rubbing it with my hand.
Also, it might come in handy when trying to determine if wood is moist or not. For instance, is it ready to prime/paint yet? Might it warp or check unless allowed to dry further? Maybe picking out lumber at Home Depot, etc.
Thanks for any information.
Dan
I have one! It works but I find it is a bit difficult to use. You really have to push it in the 1/8" that the instructions say in order to get a reading. I have a difficult time getting a reading through long grain. Not such a problem with end grain. I got it to keep track of the moisture in my bowl blanks for turning. That's my story and I gotta stick with it...... George Hughes Warner Robins, GA
<snip>

:I have one! It works but I find it is a bit difficult to use. You really :have to push it in the 1/8" that the instructions say in order to get a :reading. I have a difficult time getting a reading through long grain. Not :such a problem with end grain. I got it to keep track of the moisture in my :bowl blanks for turning. That's my story and I gotta stick with it...... :George Hughes :Warner Robins, GA
I can't imagine why you'd have to get much penetration. Maybe not getting much of the probes embedded increases the resistance. Yeah, I guess that makes sense. The shame of it is that you are making holes in your wood - not an issue in my attic and I guess not particularly at HD, where most of the wood I buy is pretty much for crude stuff, anyway.
Dan :<snip> : :> I'm looking at the following at Harbor Freight: :> :> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber'57 :> :> It's $20, and I wonder if it's worth the money. My initial purpose for :> it is to find leaks in my attic. I just had total roof job done to my :> very old house and there's a lot of discolored wood up there and have to :> guess if wood is wet or not. I figure the meter might make finding leaks :> a lot easier than digging my finger nail into a piece of wood or rubbing :> it with my hand. :> :> Also, it might come in handy when trying to determine if wood is moist :> or not. For instance, is it ready to prime/paint yet? Might it warp or :> check unless allowed to dry further? Maybe picking out lumber at Home :> Depot, etc. :> :> Thanks for any information. :> :> Dan :

try looging on to handyman.com and compare notes on these regaeds anthony
................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<< -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 00:32:44 -0600, g.a.miller
:wrote: : :>I'm looking at the following at Harbor Freight: :> :>http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber'57 :> :>It's $20, and I wonder if it's worth the money. My initial purpose for :>it is to find leaks in my attic. I just had total roof job done to my :>very old house and there's a lot of discolored wood up there and have to :>guess if wood is wet or not. I figure the meter might make finding leaks :>a lot easier than digging my finger nail into a piece of wood or rubbing :>it with my hand. :> :>Also, it might come in handy when trying to determine if wood is moist :>or not. For instance, is it ready to prime/paint yet? Might it warp or :>check unless allowed to dry further? Maybe picking out lumber at Home :>Depot, etc. :> :>Thanks for any information. :> :>Dan :try looging on to handyman.com and compare notes on these :regaeds :anthony
How could I find that once I hit the site http://handyman.com/ ?
Thanks.

Dan E=mail me and I will send you and article on the pin type dectors snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com REgards Anthony
Will that tell you what you need to know? What if the wood has rotted, but is dry?
Dan_Musicant wrote:

:Will that tell you what you need to know? What if the wood has :rotted, but is dry?
I suppose it wouldn't help with wood that's dryrotten but not wet. I want to be able to go into my fairly dark attic and find wet wood, if any. I see stained wood but it's generally from past leaks, not present ones. The house is 95 years old and there were a lot of leaks in the attic but it appears that they were just about all fixed before they caused dryrot. However, I want to make sure that my recent roof job was adequate, and will be checking for leaks. A wood moisture meter might really help with that. : :Dan_Musicant wrote: : :> It's $20, and I wonder if it's worth the money. My initial purpose for :> it is to find leaks in my attic. I just had total roof job done to my :> very old house and there's a lot of discolored wood up there and have to :> guess if wood is wet or not. I figure the meter might make finding leaks :> a lot easier than digging my finger nail into a piece of wood or rubbing :> it with my hand.
The info you get from a moisture meter isn't well suited for detecting roof leaks. Oh, it'll tell you where it's wet, but the moisture you're trying to measure is beyond the meter's real working limits. You'd do as well or better to just feel or eyeball something like a roof leak. It'll be obvious. But they're great for their intended use, at a "proper" lumberyard. HD's wood is for slap-dash, who-cares projects, IMO. Tom

If you have cedar shingles it is normal for the edges to be damp after a rain. Normal to see day light on a dry day.
It is a good idea Ive used a Delmhorst for 20+ years to check discolored wood and plaster, it will let you know , touching it will tell you nothing. I would get one from a local store incase it does not work well enough or breaks, 20$ is cheapo. My Delmhorst was 275$ 20 years ago. It will inform you of areas to watch mark and monitor and areas to forget about as just old discoloration. If I ever have a question to a leak my meter proves or disproves it, looks and touch are completly miss leading.
:
: :> I'm looking at the following at Harbor Freight: :> :> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber'57 :> :> It's $20, and I wonder if it's worth the money. My initial purpose for :> it is to find leaks in my attic. I just had total roof job done to my :> very old house and there's a lot of discolored wood up there and have to :> guess if wood is wet or not. I figure the meter might make finding leaks :> a lot easier than digging my finger nail into a piece of wood or rubbing :> it with my hand. : : :If you have cedar shingles it is normal for the edges to be damp after a :rain. Normal to see day light on a dry day. : The bottom-most layer of what they tore off on Oct. 28 and 29 was cedar shingles. Now, what I see from the attick above the skip sheathing is 1/2" CDX plywood, above which is 30# paper and then architectural asphalt composition shingles.

Well it sounds like they did the job correctly in that respect. I would not worry about it myself. If you see stains now it is most likely from the cedar shingle roof. Cedar shingles swell and seal up the tiny holes when they get wet. Not unusual for there to be a slight bit of seepage until they did.
:
: :> : :> The bottom-most layer of what they tore off on Oct. 28 and 29 was cedar :> shingles. Now, what I see from the attick above the skip sheathing is :> 1/2" CDX plywood, above which is 30# paper and then architectural :> asphalt composition shingles. : :Well it sounds like they did the job correctly in that respect. I would not :worry about it myself. If you see stains now it is most likely from the :cedar shingle roof. Cedar shingles swell and seal up the tiny holes when :they get wet. Not unusual for there to be a slight bit of seepage until :they did. : I see a LOT of signs of seepage, all over the attic, but haven't spotted any dry rot, so it doesn't worry me. What has bothered me is that I can't tell if those signs are current wet spots or spots that dried up decades ago. That's why I want to get this meter. A post I saw in a newsgroup suggested that you can make your own meter just using a multimeter (ohmmeter). I was playing around with a couple of mine last night and found that at the highest ranges they do show readings for wet wood. Thing is, I don't know how to interpret them. I guess I'll just buy the $20 meter.

Sounds normal to me and I think the job would look shoddy if that many places were leaking now with that type roof.
First, does the decking look normal. It would have to get wet for the wood below it got wet and it would show signs of getting wet not just the wood below it. Second, if you see no signs of wet ceilings or insulation, take a look up there during and or immediately after a rain. If there is a leak it will be wet up there. Third, cedar shingle roofs experienced this every time it rained. No problem so far, right? Nothing falling apart, only dry stains? Fourth, if you have a next door neighbor, ask to take a look inside his attic. His roof was probably originally cedar shake also and probably the inside of his attic looks like yours.

For 20 bucks,you can't go and buy one and see for yourself????
Even if it doesn't suit you,you can sell it on Ebay,and probably get more for it than your 20 bucks investment.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

There's only two types of moisture meters;the ohmic type,and the RF- absorbtion type. The latter works on the "grid-dip" principle,that an oscillator's output drops under a nearby load capacitively or inductively coupled. IOW,if something that absorbs RF nears the oscillator's antenna,it causes the output to drop depending on how much the load absorbs RF.The meter section measures the RF output,is calibrated to show % of moisture.
dry wood absorbs less RF than wet wood.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik