chaulking tub tile surround

We have a bathtub with a tile surround. I recently pulled the old chaulking between the tile backing and the lip of the tub. I reapplied new clear silicone chaulking. The problem is, I think water is getting behind the chaulking somehow. Instead of white grout being seen behind the clear chaulking, I see orangy/brown grout (its getting discolored). What's the best way to apply new chaulking so that water will NOT get behind it. I used a chaulking gun to create a bead a little wider than the width of the grout affected. Thanks!!

Reply to
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

You may have not prepped the surface well enough for the sealer to adhere, and the silicone has pulled away a tiny amount, sucking shower water in by capillary action, and forming orangy algae in the crevice, where it never dries out. At this point, it is best to take off the silicone with a razor blade. Use a sharp utility knife to cut a V along the caulk bead, then use individual shaving style razor blades (hardware store) to scrape off the last of the gook. Then scrub with a brush and 409 or Fantastic, rinse, dry, and do a final hard wipe down with a rag soaked in a solvent such as denatured alcohol, to get all residues and dirt off. Use a hair dryer to thoroughly dry the area. Then use a fresh cartridge of Bathroom GE silicone sealant - it is white, not clear, and made for this application, with algicides in it. Cut nozzle near end, at a slight angle, and pressure it on as you glide the nozzle in direct contact with the wall, so that the crack is under pressure and the bead oozes out a tiny bit at the sides. Let dry at least overnight. Once set, razor blade excess off in a manner that does not damage the main bond area.

Reply to
Roger Taylor