Charging those small push mower batteries

I bought a push mower with electric start at an auction. It's got a small battery about 3"X5"X2" under a panel. I can not find any markings on the battery to identify the voltage, but the starter looks identical to one I had on a riding mower which blew a rod a few years ago. That rider had a 12 volt garden tractor battery. I assume these small batteries must also be 12v. But how the heck does one charge them? There are no terminals on the battery, and I am sure I dont need to rip it out of that housing every time it needs a charge. On the top of the mower is a plug that goes to the battery, and up to the key and starter. All I can figure is that there was some sort of mating plug that went in to that same wire and connected to a battery charger. Thats only a guess. This is the first electric start push mower I have ever seen.

Anyone have any ideas?

RJ

Reply to
rjackson

sounds like you're missing the trickle charger that came with the mower. use the brand name to Google for more detail? order a replacement? use a volt meter to measure the voltage at the plug and buy a small trickle charger? as small as 1/2 amp would be fine. call a service shop and ask for cost of replacement charger?

lee h

Reply to
lee_houston

Why cant I just use a standard automotive charger on low amps? (assuming its 12V). I have a 4A car charger.

Reply to
rjackson

You shouldn't use anything until you're sure of the voltage. Have you used Google for the brand and model to at least try to get more info on the battery and possible charger?

what is the brand and model number???

lee h

Reply to
lee_houston