Charging an old GE freezer.

I have an old GE freezer that is low on freon. It has an odd tap on the suction line, a round fitting with a hex screw. Johnstone Supply advertises an adaptor that looks like what I need, a Robinair 14476 charging valve. The problem is that it costs $52 which is about what the freezer is worth if it works. Does anyone know where I could buy a used adaptor or offer any other advice? G.M. Durrence (To reply remove -nospam)

Reply to
G.M. Durrence

The only two pieces of advise I can think of, and you likely know both already:

  1. Call in a professional...(But for a freezer???)

  1. You'll probably be breaking the law if you muck around with refrigerants unless you are licensed to do so. (Which tees me off no end since I bought a set of gages and cobbled together a vacuum pump about

30 years ago. I used to happily service my own home and auto A/C systems, back when you could buy R-12 at every auto parts store for about $2.00 a can...Now, I'd be a criminal if cought doing that.)

  1. But......since that tap is on the suction side, maybe you can cobble up some kind of rubber cork with appropriate sized holes in and jam it in between the fitting and your low pressure side gage hose with hand force while a buddy twiddles the valves for you.

Just my .02,

Jeff (Who never said that....)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
Noon-Air

I've got one of those adaptors. Only used it once or twice.

Before I got the adaptor from Robinair, I'd use a Bullet Piercing Valve on the suction line.

If it's like you say, the freezer isn't all that valuable, just clamp on a BPV and be done with it.

Johnstone also has sweat on piercing valves, you can wrap and sweat them on a copper line. Not that an old freezer is likely to have a copper line.

If you have R-12, use it. Use it up and be done with the old stuff. Failing that, I've had really splendid results with R409A. Pump the 12 out, and use

75% to 85% of the charge weight, the new stuff uses less juice.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You claim to know more about the appliance end of it, and you say a comment like that?!?!?!

Just what do you suppose they used back then, PLASTIC!

How about being legal and recover the R-12?

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

Sheesh..........

I was gonna comment on that one--but you done beat me to the punch.

Just remember, Im not a pro...........

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

This is Turtle.

Hey you must a got a OLD one for they quite them around 1955. i don't think you have what you say you have but a old type allen head screw with port on the side. I could be wrong here but I have a adapter for them but I have not used it in 20 years. They then cost about $1.25 but now they will bet about $9.00 for them. You said Robinair had one for $52.00 at Johnstone Supply and that seem pretty high. Buying one of the adapter seems not very cost effective at all.

Now what i would do is get me a A-1 tap valve to install on it for about $4.00 to $8.00 depending on where you buy them and put the new type tap valve on it and it will ready to just put your guages on it. Any Small appliance Parts places will have them by the hundreds if you like. The thing is made by A-1 Compontents and is call a A-1 Tap valve. A-1 taps are for tubing for 3/8" or smaller and the A-2 is for 5/8" or bigger tubing sizes.

If you like E-mail me and discuss it if you like.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Reply to
Vicki Szaszvari

Jeff, you can take an open-book test on-line and get leagl for, what, $20? Do a search for MACS. You can still buy cans of R-12, just have to do the stupid test first and be willing to pay thru the nose for it.

Reply to
Vicki Szaszvari

Yea, but then he's going to have to buy some expensive refrigeration equipment.

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

This is Turtle.

Stormy you just told the man to go get some more 12 or 409-A which both need a EPA licence to buy or have and just shoot it up. The Test cost about $25.00 over the internet to get level one and they don't sell 409-A by the can so he will buy a can of R-12 at about $28.00 a can. Also did you forget that 134-A is the replacement for R-12 in freezers and refrigerator ? He can get a can of R-134-A at auto zone for $4.00 and a can tap at appliance stores at about $5.00 and be ready to go. Your fix is $53.00 and my fix is $9.00.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Hey He can buy the 1 big plastic bag to vent into it and then bring the bag to the outlet and have it sucked out. The bags are still legal for use for small appliances. The bag has a tap on it and just shoot it in it $15.00.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

The section 609 doesn't give you permission to service small appliances (that's 608/section 1, if memory serves). So, while he'd be able to buy the can of 12, he could legally only put it into a motor vehicle.

As for the blow up bag, Turtle's selective reading is coming to play again. Hey, Turtle.... go back and read the original post. Did the guy say he wanted to put freon IN or OUT? You may take a couple hours to think about it if you wish. It's multiple choice. Hang on:

  1. Put your #2 yellow pencil down. Do not attempt to fill in the answer until you have read the question completely.

  1. Read the question below:

I have an old GE freezer that is low on freon. It has an odd tap on the suction line, a round fitting with a hex screw. Johnstone Supply advertises an adaptor that looks like what I need, a Robinair 14476 charging valve. The problem is that it costs $52 which is about what the freezer is worth if it works. Does anyone know where I could buy a used adaptor or offer any other advice? G.M. Durrence (To reply remove -nospam)

  1. Pick up your #2 yellow pencil and darken the circle which is to the left of the statement which is most correct. There may be more than one answer which is partly correct.

O - The original poster is working on a refrigerator O - The original poster would like to add freon O - The original poster is considring buying freon O - The original poster wants to remove freon from a freezer

Time's up! Put your yellow #2 pencils down. Fold your hands on top of the desk and wait for the instructor to collect your papers. Remember, this is a drug and weapon free school zone.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is Turtle.

I will pick up my ink pen and wrote.

Stormy must be a Idiot to not be able to understand a reply like this as to he is going to work on it hiself. Are you that dumb to not be able to pick up on it ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Turtle, again, avoiding the original poster's question. You sure are good at that, telling stories of blow up bags when the OP just wants to add a few ounces of refrigerant.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

This is Turtle.

I'm Sorry here Stormy for starting to state fact and not be speaking Vage and not to the point. i will try better next time.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE