Charge for tree removal offset by value of wood ?

Page 2 of 2

Bill wrote:

from
be
offset
keep
this
fell
probably
past.
Sorry but I disagree. Anyone who thinks that someone 'holding a rope' on a falling tree is good practice is not 'an experienced amateur', he is a dangerous amateur who has no clue about chainsaws, falling etc. The mere fact that you have cut yourself (at least once) shows that. Falling 50 trees in a forest is a far, far different thing than falling one next to a house.
Harry K

fruitloop advice. this is a huge tree, real close to the house. the OP is a home-owner. not a logger. he will have to pay to get this done safely. cheap considering what his house is worth.
on the other hand, thanks for the OSHA pointer. I cut trees up north at the cottage and I admit I don't know much. But I do it. There's lots of important info at: http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/logging/index.html ....thehick
Bill wrote:

What do you call the tree-climbing gadgets that strap to the inside of your legs and have sharp barbs? Can these be rented? Where can they be purchased?
William W. Plummer wrote:

from
40'
would be

offset
keep
this
dead
proximity
the
fell
probably
past.
pulled
four
you
get
of
they
Climbing irons or gaffs. Doubt if a rental outfit would handle them due to the danger of amateur useage. You also need a climbing belt to use them.
Harry K

So you therfore think it is safe for a rank amature to fell a 40 foot tree 8 feet from his house?
This is some of the scariest advice I have ever seen. I too have sfelled some trees and own a chainsaw and I'm fairly competant, but I'd not attempt it on my own house.
> It can be very dangerous work if you

No shit, and this is not the tree to learn on.

well...as my Grand Daddy always told me...poor folks has to have poor ways and do the best they can!
Bill

You and your grandaddy are right on. I agree with you 100%.
Sounds like a fun and exciting project and the danger and risk of it falling on the house makes it even more exciting!
I'd climb the tree and start cutting off inside limbs first. Try to make the tree balanced on the side opposite the house. Then put a couple of cables on the tree to hold it off the house. And finally just make some of those wedge cuts so the tree falls away from the house.

My ex-father-in-law was a true blue Louisiana coonass. Came from poor people who made things, and never threw away a nail, but straightened them to reuse. The thing that bothered him most in life was the idea that there was something he could not do. He build drilling derricks, and was the top of his field internationally when it came to climbing and rigging.
There was a branch rubbing on the house. He's going to go up on the roof and cut it off with a chainsaw. My brother in law and I get lawn chairs and a beer and pick a good spot to watch.
First he goes up on the second story roof with a chain saw, which he fires up and waves at the branch.
Can't reach it.
Goes down and gets a milk crate, which, fortunately is the old kind made out of wood with metal edging. Puts the milk crate on the pitched roof, stands on the milk crate, fires up the chainsaw, and waves it at the branch.
Still too short.
He goes back down and gets a piece of cut wood about 14" in diameter and 12" long. Climbs back up and puts this on the milk crate, which is sitting on the pitched roof.
Fires up the chainsaw. Climbs to the top of this Rube Goldberg ladder, which is right at the edge of the roof. Takes a couple of waves at the limb, and down the limb goes.
Not one of the craziest thing I have ever seen him do, but definitely in the top ten.
Steve

The trouble is, the direction the tree FALLS isn't what's going to do the damage. It's fairly easy to control where the TOP of the tree goes. THe problem is, when the tree hits the ground, slams down on those branches, and then springs back, it's may decide to drive the butt right through the side of the house. And if you've got a tow-chain attached to your car to keep it from doing that, it will rip your car in half in the process. THEN the tree will roll, at which point it will wind up one of your two upper guy-lines, which will snap, at which point the end of the guy-line will pass through your dog at about mach 1.7.

LOL. You guys are funny. We gotta film this and send it in to Americas Funniest Video.

it ain't Rocket Science Jim! I can cut pretty near any tree that is standing near a house...the problem is that as it's coming down it may create some "uncontroled demolition" that I don't want to deal with...
Bill