Changing the water in my well

Page 2 of 2

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 06:21:12 -0700, Harry K wrote:

The standard answer on "good" grass here is "It will come back". In fact, there will be a herbicide line where the grass that has been sprayed browns up earlier ... and after x number of applications, it's overtaken by "bad" grass.
Ann wrote:

that's a good question. living outside the city limit sign and paying only one tax to a county certainly frees suburbanites from some of the restrictions placed on city people. but then on the other hand most suburbs make a considerable contribution to light pollution and the wasting of energy with their use of street lights. their restrictive covenants governing their choices with regard to what they can and can't do on their 1/8 of an acre lots certainly brings to thought those same restrictive regulations imposed on people making the choice for city life. then there's that no privacy clause accompanying the life of the dweller who resides in a row house on an 1/8 of an acre lot. technically they have escaped the city only to create for themselves another form of a highly restrictive way of existing. so then in conclusion and after consideration for your question I'd say suburbanites are not the essences of what I consider to be country folks. in closing I would add how I have met several suburbanites who have trash bags in their cars and trucks.

no action always equals no action. or as another put if, for every action there is an equal and opposite opposing reaction. however, I do full well understand time constraints for the individual and how we do not always have the time required to act on every issue.
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:43:03 -0400, Jim wrote:

I was thinking more in terms of how you think the people are different, rather than living conditions. But, I do have some counter-examples.
First, the system of taxation depends on the jurisdiction(s). PA authorizes some optional taxes for school districts and municipalities. There are more separate taxes here (rural) than there are in some PA cities.
There are more pole lights/household here than there were street lights/household in the residential city neighborhood where I lived. Cities operate 24 hours a day and street lights are a lot more practical than individuals using flashlights ... or driving rather than walking. From the environmental pov, consider disposing of all the used up batteries in landfills. <g>
Don't agree with "no privacy" in a city. If you measure privacy as proximity, there are detached city houses on lots larger than 1/8 acre. Also, city lots are likely to be fenced, which eliminates most of the dogs/kids conflicts. As for noise, old row houses with double brick (through the roof) common walls and real plaster don't transmit that much sound.
I never though of living in a city as "restrictive". Restricted from doing what? My preference now is to live where I do, but I wouldn't have missed (some of) my experiences living in cities either. People restrict themselves by prejudging and not being open to new experiences.
<...>

My "nothing would change" wasn't theoretical. I know because I've tried. However, I should have written that there would be no "positive change". I've already posted about the process on m.r, so won't go through it again.
Ann wrote:

considering the process of you and I disagreeing to disagree previously on m.r with regard to city in contrast to rural then there's no time like the present to not engage in the futility of a continuation of more disagreeing to disagree. unless of course we are only seeking to create a coarse manner of conversation between the two of us. <g>
btw - when the good grass is killed it is usually and most always replaced by a grass of an undesirable quality. that is, if nature is left to its own design.
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:07:05 -0400, Jim wrote:

Note: The process that sentence referred to was objecting to roadside herbiciding.

If you don't want to continue this discussion, that's fine; I won't push it. But I feel no obligation not to disagree if you post something similar again.

If nature is left to it's own design, the good grass lives.
Ann wrote:

ok. <g>

if nature is left to [its] or if nature is left to [it's] ???
it's : it is : it has
as you may recall, in m.r earlier this very week there was a thread discussing how people often claim how their misuse of certain words was simply a typo.
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 21:33:58 -0400, Jim wrote:

Forgot to engage my brain. <g>

I didn't/don't claim it was a typo. It was a mistake.
Ann wrote:

I have always admired your integrity.