Changing the "Main"

I do all my own plumbing, but this one I'm going to let for the professionals. My question is from curiosity rather than from a DIY point of view.
If you need absolutely dry joints in order for solder to set, how do plumbers solder a gate valve at the main shut-off? Are there any secrets (don't laugh) like vacuuming water from the supply line (which in this case is a private well)?

If it's a private well, it's pretty simple: turn power off to the pump and drain the pressure tank.
If city water, there's normally a buried shutoff between the water main and the meter. That's so the city can shut your water off if you don't pay your bills. :-) And incidentally it makes it convenient for plumbers in situations such as you describe.
I've always seen flared valve fittings installed at the street and meter. ex: http://www.homestore.com/HomeGarden/HomeImprovement/HowTos/HowTos/CRHO_MakingFlaredFittings.asp?poe=homestore
TP