Changing Out Boilers--Worth it?

I have a 30 year old Utica dry base oil fired boiler that is working fine and last year I had a new Riello head installed on it. I have a chance to pick up an oil fired Burnam boiler with controls and Beckett head for 400.00. The boiler is 9 years old. I'd have to find a plumber to do the swap but would I gain anything in saving? I've been told that if my current boiler is not leaking to leave it alone but with the prices of oil....

Reply to
traderfjp

Spend the money on more insulation, better windows, etc. You could have a grand or two in the boiler swap and *maybe* gain 2% increase in eff. (I made that number up...)

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

The nine year old boiler is worth about $0.04 lb scrap..............same as your 30 yr old Utica. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

That "newer" Burnham boiler MIGHT be about 5% more efficient than your older dry base Utica. However, the more efficient Riello burner on the Utica might well make up the difference.

My $.02 is that it wouldn't be worth the money for the Burnham or the labor cost to do your proposed swap..

Doug

Reply to
Doug