Changing my thermostat?

Hi, guys! I hope someone can provide a bit of advice.

I have a 2 heat pump system - one for upstairs, one for downstairs. Each pump is controlled by a separate Janitrol manual thermostat. I had this idea to replace the thermostats with programmable ones, and I got a great deal on a pair of Honeywell T8011R's on Ebay.

Popping open the covers of the new thermostats and the old ones, I see the Janitrol has these 7 inputs: Y G R O W2, E, and C. The Honeywell has these 7, plus 3 more: B, W1, and L.

I was going to contact someone to install it for me, but it seems pretty simple - could it be that I just have to match up the 7 wires to the corresponding inputs on the Honeywell? What do the other 3 inputs do? Does it matter if they're not used? The screwholes for the Honeywell even line up exactly where the ones on the Janitrol are. I hate to call a contractor if it's something I could easily do myself.

Oh, and if it IS that easy, is some kind of configuation necessary?

Thanks, all!

Dave

Reply to
Alpern

The manual on line has a nice diagram that explains everything.

If your unsure then it IS time to call someone who knows what they are doing. Before you let the magic out of the system.

Reply to
SQLit

The other wires are for other configurations and are provided for compatibility. Only use the connections that match your furnace. The instruction sheet should give functions for all the connections and configuration information if it is needed.

Reply to
PipeDown