Changing light switch- need help!!

I live in an old apartment and am installing a dimmer switch for the dining room- When I pulled the plate off the old light switch I see that there is no existing ground. The new switch I bought from the store obviously comes with a ground. My question- what do I do with the new ground? Should I try to attach it to the back of the switch housing in the wall? Should I clip it off? Is it safe to leave it loose? Should I just cap it?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Reply to
Help Needed

If the box is metal, it will have a 10/32" threaded hole in the back. You can attach the wire there. You can also get grounding clips to attach to the side of the box. If the existing cable in NM with no ground, this is all moot and it doesn't matter what you do with it

Reply to
RBM

If it is a metal box, the box is likely grounded. (There are some simple tests you can perform to check this.)

If the box is grounded you will have a "gud enuf" ground just by installing the dimmer with it's supplied screws. If you like to worry, you can install a ground screw in the box and connect the green wire to it.

Reply to
John Gilmer

What you are doing is extremely dangerous. Unless you are a certified and licensed electrician, you should have never removed the plate. There is electricity in that box and it can and will kill you. Call a licensed electrician immediately. DO NOT touch that switch or anything near it. If you have children, pets, or a wife, nail the door shut to the room where the switch is located, or better yet, move to a motel until the electricians arrive and do the repair. No matter what you do, call the electric company immediately and tell them to disconnect your electrical service to your home, until the electrician arrives and safely secures that dangerous exposed switch. In the future, NEVER, EVER touch any electrical equipment again. Your life is in danger and the lives of all members of your family. One wrong move, and you could be fried to a crisp, and possibly burn down your entire neighborhood. Please get professional assistance now. Do not delay !

Lawrence D.

Reply to
Lawrenced

Thanks to all of you for the advice!

I turned off the electricity before I did anything and I put the screw cap on the ground (green wire) before replacing everything. the dimmer works and all is good!

Thanks again!

RBM (remove this) wrote:

Reply to
Help Needed