Changing flourescent light unit

Page 2 of 2

Scroll down.....
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Ron, there could be hot wires to other things in the circuit and you could get electricuted so I would advise that you locate the breaker or fuse for that circuit, get a continuity tester from the local hardware store and don't risk a severe burn. If you can't locate the fuse or breaker for the circuit where the fixture is then you will have to hit the switch for the entire place. This should only be a short time though say 30 minutes if you've never done this before... C
Cast-it Admin wrote:

On 28 Nov 2006 09:37:34 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@nexicom.net wrote:

Probably not electrocuted. Maybe a broken back when you fall off the ladder find out how hard that floor really is.

Mark Lloyd

If you want to bet your life that the switch is actually in the hot leg where it belongs, and no damn fool will turn the switch on. Even if you don't get electrocuted, a shock can jolt into falling, dropping something or hitting your head and/or hands into something or any combination of these.
My dad says - when you turn off the breaker, unscrew the wire and put the breaker in your pocket.
Wierd stuff can happen:(
I always turn off the breaker but as a final check intentially short the circuit to ground to make SURE its off. I check with a test light first but even then........
Every now and then I get a surprise, better some sparks than me getting hit.
Not afraid of getting shocked but would rather avoid it!
Wow, I really like this advice. Why didn't I think of it?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.