Ron, there could be hot wires to other things in the circuit and you
could get electricuted so I would advise that you locate the breaker or
fuse for that circuit, get a continuity tester from the local hardware
store and don't risk a severe burn. If you can't locate the fuse or
breaker for the circuit where the fixture is then you will have to hit
the switch for the entire place. This should only be a short time
though say 30 minutes if you've never done this before...
Cast-it Admin wrote:
If you want to bet your life that the switch is actually in the hot leg
where it belongs, and no damn fool will turn the switch on. Even if you
don't get electrocuted, a shock can jolt into falling, dropping something
or hitting your head and/or hands into something or any combination of
My dad says - when you turn off the breaker, unscrew the wire and put
the breaker in your pocket.
- Don Klipstein ( firstname.lastname@example.org)
Wierd stuff can happen:(
I always turn off the breaker but as a final check intentially short
the circuit to ground to make SURE its off. I check with a test light
first but even then........
Every now and then I get a surprise, better some sparks than me getting
Not afraid of getting shocked but would rather avoid it!
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.