changing color of electrical outlet & switch plates

I need to change the all the beige cover plates to a dark green in my theater room. Probably I won't paint the actual toggle or round outlet, but just the cover plate. Will Rustoleum or Krylon paint for plastics work well? What are my other choices?

Reply to
Phisherman

DerbyDad03

I have had good luck with just some good wall paint.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have used ordinary wall paint. May take a couple of coats. I'd also look into the "Fusion" plastic paint from Krylon, if the color is acceptable.

Reply to
professorpaul

What are the plates made of?

Reply to
mm

Scuff them with steel wool, or maybe a scotchbrite pad, degrease them well, and spray away with Krylon or similar. As cheap as the plastic plates are, no big loss if it doesn't stick or you hose up the spray job. Generic plates are usually less than a buck, maybe a little higher for gang plates.

aem sends...

Reply to
<aemeijers

snipped-for-privacy@att.net spake thus:

For that matter, you could probably even bake them a little to harden the paint, even if they&#39;re plastic: should be able to withstand, say,

150-175° (F) for an hour or so.

But yes, if I couldn&#39;t find readymade plates in the color you want, enamel spray paint would be just the ticket.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Never tried it, but I have been told that you can throw them into a kitchen pot and use food dye. Certainly worth a try.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Krylon should work fine. If you really want to make them disappear, paint them with the same paint used on the wall; paint everything that shows. Or, if the walls are papered, you can cover them with the same wall paper. I&#39;ve got a dentist that has a bathroom with the highly patterned wall paper, and one really has to hunt for the light switch.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Easter egg dye comes to mind. I wonder what some of those swill things and other Easter egg decoration things would do? It could make for some interesting light switches :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Me too. My house is full of plastic cover plates that were painted

22 years ago with cheapo kmart flat latex wall paint and you can&#39;t scrape it off!
Reply to
DK

IMHO:

Plastic paint, like krylon sounds liek a good idea.

tom @

Humble Tom

give them a light sanding then you can use any kind of latex. or whatever you like.

Reply to
Mike