Changing Building Materials to Metric

Page 2 of 6

From a consumer's perspective, I was thinking of a _car's_ tankful. In my case, that's about 40l.
Michael Daly wrote:

Ah, yes. The discussion was rather pedantic as the original statement was "pennies" and that applies if it were 5 gal or 1000 gal. Any minor difference (and it is almost imeasurable) of course will add up to real money given enough volumn but it's hardly anything to loose sleep over.
Harry K
Toller wrote:

Hi, Metric system is far more accurate. One reason Rusia beat U.S. going to moon. The sooner the better going to metric. Kids today learn metric in schools.
That's like saying writing in ink is more accurate.

Here's a handy little free tool I use all the time, called the Phoxel Unit Converter: http://www.geocities.com/phoxel
It covers everything from length to cooking units.

SORRY - expired URL, here's the correct address: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Unit-Conversion/Phoxel-Unit-Converter.shtml
PanHandler wrote:

I use an online converter: http://www.onlineconversion.com /
Tony Hwang wrote:

Neither system is more accurate. The person or apparatus taking the measurement is either more or less accurate.

I thought we only had one moon. Wasn't it the Apollo mission that set foot on the moon first?

If you bend over in front of a mirror, you'll see the OTHER moon <LOL>
in the case of an unmanned probe, Russia's Luna-2 hit the moon first in 1959

NOT....... Whether I use my tape measure and measure a board 80 inches, or whatever the metric equivalant is, makes no difference. The board will be the same length as long as I measure it properly. (and who can read a tape measure that accurately anyhow? To me, anything smaller than 1/16 inch is not visible to the naked eye when it comes to measuring a board. When it comes to machining a precison piece of steel to fit a shaft or whatever, thats different, but that has alwawys been done with precision machines anyhow.
A quart of milk measured in a accurate measuring cup will be the same amount as the metric equivalant.
A 9/16 wrench will fit a 9/16 bolt the just as well as a 12 MM wrench will fit a 12 MM bolt.
What you said makes no sense at all.
Mark
<SNIP>| | A quart of milk measured in a accurate measuring cup will be the same | amount as the metric equivalant. | | A 9/16 wrench will fit a 9/16 bolt the just as well as a 12 MM wrench | will fit a 12 MM bolt. | | What you said makes no sense at all. | | Mark
Been there -- Done that -- Paid dearly for it.
The quart of milk will suddenly become a LITER of milk -- only the quantity will go down.
I also remember doing some work on a Renault Dauphine (?spelling) and having to get a 19/32 wrench because all my SAE stuff was either a shade too small or big to fit. The upshot is I needed a whole new set of METRIC wrenches. One hell of a merchandising ploy.
Mostly, I found the conversion to metric to be a big PITA -- all the prices went up and all the sizes went down.
-- PDQ

And so with the price.

Yeah. Building cars using one's own national measurement system. Isn't that awful.
Obviously, the French Academie has been in cahoots with Asian wrench makers since the 1700s - one day those damn yanks are going to have to change their wrenches, and we cash in big!
That's such amazing foresight. Why, they hadn't even invented wrenches then.

Yeah, just like yards going to metres, square yards to square metres, or acres to hectares.
Not.
Don't let the facts stand in you way, eh?
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Uhm, a liter is *more* than a quart.

Bwahaha.
Which quart?
An imperial quart is 40oz. A US quart is 32oz.
A litre is about 35 oz.
And people think metric is harder ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Tony Hwang wrote:

Since our current system and metric are both 100% accurate, I am not sure I understand your statement.
Metric makes a lot more sense however.
The switch over, even in building materials can be far less disruptive than suggested.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
could you give an example of how metric is more accurate? please show the math.

Tony Hwang wrote:

When did the commies land on the moon? I must have missed that little piece of history!

"the commies" managed to get unmanned probes into space and onto the moon before the US did. Nothing to do with metric of course, but still.

Most of the molding machines we buy that are metric use standard pipe sizes of BPP sizes readily available. We make and export Insulating Concrete Forms (ICF's as www.integraspec.com ) to Canada and sometimes Europe in standard US sizes and they work with them OK. I doubt we will ever see a pure metric society.