changing an attic roof vent fan

Your experience and mine differ a lot. My townhouse was built with afull width soffitt vent in front and in back, 6 or 8" wide and covered with vinyl window screening. Plus a ridge vent that goes almost to each end of the ridge.
Yet when I got home from work on summer evenings, it was too hot to go upstairs and even at 10 or 11 it was too hot to sleep there. I slept in the basement and went upstairs the next morning to shower and get new clothes.
After I put the fan in, it was warm upstairs, sometimes very warm, but always tolerable, always sleepable. Maybe with a little table fan on the window sill pointed at me. (Very little, just 2 blades with a motor just like but one size smaller than the motor in most bathroom fans.)
Perhaps you noticed no other benefit because you had the AC on and it cooled the 2nd floor whether you had a fan or not. Becaue I don't use AC except when it's overwhelmingly hot, the effect of the fan was clear. The previous owner added insulation that the builder hadn't and I added more yet, and probably should have added even more, and if there were a perfect heat barrier between attic and second floor, the second floor would not have been hot even without a fan. I also compressed the insulation in the middle of the attic by laying plywood to walk on, while I put in phone, TV, alarm, and electric wires. But insulation just slows down heat travel, it doesn't stop it. And the fan keeps the attic from getting more than a couple degrees above the outside temp, in the 80's, 90's or low 100's. Without the fan, the temp in the attic, even with soffitt and ridge vents, could get to 140 iirc or maybe it was 160.
I probably could have measured how much electricity the fan used but I didn't. Or I could take the amperage and number of hours it runs and multiply.

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 10:18:09 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Yet, I believe in this thread you told us that you only have 6" of insulation? And if that's true, then the real source of your heat problem is inadequate insulation, which is killing you in winter too.
and if there were a

I call baloney on that one. Anyone else here ever see an attic where the temp is only a couple degrees above outside when it's 80-100 outside, regardless of how it's vented? Typically venting may allow it to be 110 or 115 instead of 125 or 130F. But just a few degrees difference? There is a lot of unique things going on in your world Micky. I know, I'm just supposed to take your word for it, not question it, etc.
Without the fan, the temp in the attic,

You have the fan and the ridge vent too? Probably pulling air from the ridge vent, into the fan, and right back out.
On Tue, 26 May 2015 07:45:46 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

I woudl be worried about that myself, except I know there is a lot of air coming in the soffitt vents. They get covered with milkweed seeds, along the entire width of the house, and have to be cleaned off every few years. That wouldn't happen if there were just passive air flow through them,
One of the milkweed trees died last year, but I noticed a small amount of the seeds in the air yesterday. I'm hoping that's from a tree much farther away, and the soffitts don't have to be cleaned as often.

TimR wrote:

if you can get by with a passive vent do that instead. that avoids a lot of expense. which depends a great deal upon the space and the heat gain and moisture levels, soffit vents, etc, but well worth the effort.
if you do end up replacing the motor get one that is the most efficient you can afford. some cheap ass motors will use a lot of energy that can be saved otherwise. the price difference will pay for itself many times over the years.
songbird

Consider buying the same make and model motor as what you have now. It seems to have lasted a long time.
If there is no motor store near you, or you want to save maybe 20%, (that's what I would have saved) check out : http://www.emotorstore.com/
They may have "Product cross reference" in case your model isn't made still.
If they don't, www.fasco.com certainly does have a cross reference, that will give you a Fasco model, and they are good quality.
I bought my previous motor from EMR, which is a quality outlet and doesn't sell junk, and it lasted 13 years. I'm not suggesting them for you, because their wholesalers may all be near Baltimore.
My particular motor, the same model that I bought last time, I paid 120 yesterday but could have gotten it online at http://www.emotorstore.com/ for 80, plus 14 for shipping.
The Fasco website also has a list of local distrutors. There were about 20 within 20 miles of my house. The three I called didn't have my model in stock, but they could all get it in a day or two. I had already talked to another place on the list, that's named after motors, and that's where I bought it.
On Wednesday, May 13, 2015 at 9:27:13 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:

When mine died a few years ago an electrician wanted over $500 to replace it. I called the manufacturer and they simply shipped me a new one at no cost, which I installed myself. Might be worth checking who made yours and making a call.
On Mon, 18 May 2015 14:33:11 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Wow.

I probably should have done that 20 years ago. I offerred to pay and they accepted.