changing an attic roof vent fan

When mine died a few years ago an electrician wanted over $500 to replace it. I called the manufacturer and they simply shipped me a new one at no cost, which I installed myself. Might be worth checking who made yours and making a call.

Reply to
Ameri-Clean

Because I'm in the attic looking up at it! What is underneath from the top is first from the bottom.

Good grief. I've

Not if no one stood on it.

I don't have to find anything to prove what I say. I have my house and all my neighbors' houses to prove it. If you don't want to take my word, you can stay ignorant.

Yes, you did and that supports that your answer is right some of the time, but it doesn't mean my answer isn't also right some of the time.

Now there are TWO common types? I never heard of the second one before. But if there are, that means there are ThREE tyopes, your two and my one.

Haven't y ou noticed that what part of the country you live in has an effect on what contractors do?

Before the internet, people accepted another's word for what they said, unless they had a history of being dishonest. If "no cap shingles" were likely to appear in a webpage that showed how to do it with no cap shingles, it woudl be worth searching, but what is not there is usually not listed in any webpage or set of instructions.

No, It's much m ore likely that there is something wrong with you.

OH, good. It's only hard to believe. Trust me, you can believe it.

Cap shingles would add nothing but decoration to the houses here. Instead of a 6 or 8" wide black line, there woudl be a line the same color of the shingles. It's a 2-story house. I can't even see the roof from the back yard, and only from some locations in front of the house. Usually I'm looking at kids or neighbors or my bushes or the sidewalk, and I don't even notice what the roof looks like.

I don't like googling. I don't expect anyone to have noticed, but I hardly ewver give helpfu.l urls to people who post questions. Only if it's really easy to find or to make a novel point. But I've done enough to make this point.

You should be a politician the way you misdescribe what happened. When you refused to believe what I said, on my word, I no longer accepted what you said on your word. That's perfectly fair. So you went to the trouble to find a url with your method, but I never said I woudl go to the same trouble, and I'm not going to do it.

I've been away from Sunday morning to Friday night. I have lots of posts and email to read, and lots of things I came across on my trip to check out. I did some of that Saturday, but i'm far from done.

Fine. I made my point, more than once. That's enough.

I sure think it comes in a roll. I don't see any seams from the inside and I never saw seams from the outside, on the old one or the new one. But I wasn't on the roof or watching when he put it down.

What does being smart have to do with finding a link?

"ass"? Now you're getting nasty. I guess you don't like when someone doesn't knuckle under to you. Grow up .

Do you think there is only one roll type? Or that the ability to put cap shingles on a roll type ridge vent means they have to be used? Well they don't.

You should be embarrassed by your posts.

Reply to
micky

I removed the fan and motor from the attic this weekend, and I learned some thing else I didn't know.

It is a six blade fan so there is no way to slide the blades past the spide r, I had to take the spider off the housing.

This was not particularly difficult, except for getting my head and hands i nto the space between rafters or whatever you call them.

I just removed the 7/16 nuts and slid it out.

AND THEN! that is when I learned something new. The bolts go through the housing from the outside, and they are not captive. When you pull the spid er off, you hear the tink and roll as the bolts fall off the outside and ro ll around the roof. Obviously replacing this will take two people, one out side on the roof and one in the attic.

I tried Home Depot without success for a fan motor, so I haven't finished y et.

Reply to
TimR

Wow.

I probably should have done that 20 years ago. I offerred to pay and they accepted.

Reply to
micky

Which was precisely my point. That's how I see the cutouts too and I've never seen a ridge vent cutout that's 6" wide. Nor do any of the install instructions for the products I've looked at spec a cut anywhere near that size. About 1" on either side is typical.

I'll leave it for others to judge who's ignorant. You can choose to believe anything and everything that someone posts on the internet, if you want to. Any rational person can see problems with that approach. I don't think asking for a simple link is so unreasonable. I've provided many here in this thread. At least some of which you refuse to even look at. Go figure.

Not just now, I clearly described two types from my first posts. There are roll type products and rigid plastic type products that come in sections. That is what I've seen.

Baloney.

It shows.

No it's not fair, because I gave you links to real products to support what I said. And I haven't misrepresented what you've said.

So you went to

Sure, nuff said.

Oh, I see, so now you *think* it comes in a roll, you haven't seen it on the roof, but I'm unreasonable to be questioning it and not just taking your word that it's fact. Good grief. I've not just seen the product I'm talking about from inside the attic, I've installed it.

If you were smart, you'd know.

I just don't like it when someone refuses to even look at the info that I provide and just keeps droning on.

OK, so provide us with the link to the roll type ridge vent material that you have that doesn't require cap shingles.

Still waiting for the link to the ridge vent product you claim exists with these properties:

roll type plastic goes over a 6" ridge opening installs with no cap shingles lasts the life of the roof

Did I misrepresent anything there?

PS: It would be good if you could learn to edit posts.

Reply to
trader_4

Your experience and mine differ a lot. My townhouse was built with afull width soffitt vent in front and in back, 6 or 8" wide and covered with vinyl window screening. Plus a ridge vent that goes almost to each end of the ridge.

Yet when I got home from work on summer evenings, it was too hot to go upstairs and even at 10 or 11 it was too hot to sleep there. I slept in the basement and went upstairs the next morning to shower and get new clothes.

After I put the fan in, it was warm upstairs, sometimes very warm, but always tolerable, always sleepable. Maybe with a little table fan on the window sill pointed at me. (Very little, just 2 blades with a motor just like but one size smaller than the motor in most bathroom fans.)

Perhaps you noticed no other benefit because you had the AC on and it cooled the 2nd floor whether you had a fan or not. Becaue I don't use AC except when it's overwhelmingly hot, the effect of the fan was clear. The previous owner added insulation that the builder hadn't and I added more yet, and probably should have added even more, and if there were a perfect heat barrier between attic and second floor, the second floor would not have been hot even without a fan. I also compressed the insulation in the middle of the attic by laying plywood to walk on, while I put in phone, TV, alarm, and electric wires. But insulation just slows down heat travel, it doesn't stop it. And the fan keeps the attic from getting more than a couple degrees above the outside temp, in the 80's, 90's or low 100's. Without the fan, the temp in the attic, even with soffitt and ridge vents, could get to 140 iirc or maybe it was

160.

I probably could have measured how much electricity the fan used but I didn't. Or I could take the amperage and number of hours it runs and multiply.

Reply to
micky

Sorry to hear that. My blade may have only 5 fins, I'm not sure. I"ll try to look next time I'm in the attic.

When you have a helper and put the bolts back in, maybe you can add a lockwasher and another nut and tighten that down a lot so if there's a next time, you can do it all from the outside. OTOH, that will make the brackets start a quarter inch or more closer to the center and maybe that will cause a problem.

My brackets are probably mounted with rubber bushings to keep noise from going from the motor to the housing to the roof, and the brackets dangle somewhat when not connected to each other. So they could be moved around in order to get the blade out, past the brackets. Getting it back in was a lot easier.

I guess someday the rubber in the bushings will wear out, but so far so good.

Reply to
micky

Yet, I believe in this thread you told us that you only have 6" of insulation? And if that's true, then the real source of your heat problem is inadequate insulation, which is killing you in winter too.

and if there were a

I call baloney on that one. Anyone else here ever see an attic where the temp is only a couple degrees above outside when it's

80-100 outside, regardless of how it's vented? Typically venting may allow it to be 110 or 115 instead of 125 or 130F. But just a few degrees difference? There is a lot of unique things going on in your world Micky. I know, I'm just supposed to take your word for it, not question it, etc.

Without the fan, the temp in the attic,

You have the fan and the ridge vent too? Probably pulling air from the ridge vent, into the fan, and right back out.

Reply to
trader_4

Let's assume you are correct...what have you accomplished but to show yourself as an anal retentive nut case. Since you beat everything to death...no one really cares... Yes, micky lives in his own little world...how different are you?

Reply to
bob_villa

Apparently you care, because here *you* are again. I didn't revive this thread today, Micky did. As for how different I am, I provided several links to back up what I was saying, pics, videos, product links. And unlike Micky, if someone provides a relevant link, I'm willing to look at it and discuss it.

Reply to
trader_4

Rarely do you leave things alone...*you* have to be right...to the point of beating it to death. Sometimes you have to accept, and get-on with it... We *all* have our quirks...you need to look at yours!

Reply to
bob_villa

That may have been what you were talking about, but I don't see how it could have been your point.

How many attics with ridge vents have you been in? More to the point, how many attics with ridge vents in Baltimore have you been in? YOu haven't figured out yet that things are done differently in different places.

In the places you've been to, and even your word "typical" means there are instances that are atypical. Typical means what, 55%? Leaving up to 45% that are atypical.

It's not a judgment. It's a fact. If you don't believe that some ridge vents are installed without shingles on top, you are ignorant.

I'm not posting anything or everything. I'm saying not everyone puts cap shingles over ridge vents. Woudln't that be obvious even without getting out of bed? The cap shingles serve no practical purpose. They are all about appearance, and if it saves the builder an hour of a roofer's time that's more money than when a car maker uses a cheaper spring to save a dime.

This is such a stupid argument. It's typical of what Usenet is famous for. But neither of us is willing to give in

A typical way a politician avoids getting to the truth. No one is suggesting beliieving anything and everything, only believing that cap shingles are not always used on top of ridge vents. Quite a big difference from anything and everything, isn't it.

It's not unreasonable to ask but it's unreasonable to insist on it Not everything can be searched for, including

ridge vent without cap shingles.

If that gets hits that include all five words, the word "without" will be somewhere else in the text. In fact, the word "without" probably won't be on a page like you want. Instead it might say "you may or may not use cap shingles". So do you want me to search for "not" That will be in every page. Or the instructions will show how to install them even though not everyone does. Roofers are not children who need to be told what they don't need to do. They know what they can omit.

I refused to look only at a video. Not at any still links Videos take a long time to look at, especially with my sometimes problematic computer and DSL. It's not just your videos. I don't look at any videos unless I really want to see them.

And all it would show is that some people do things your way. It would not show that no one does it my way. So what is the point of looking at all?

Oh, that hadn't come up for a while. Okay, then there must be two types and two methods, since there little more reason to use cap shingles iwth rigid than with roll. It would cover the seams but they can't be seen from the ground anyhow. Maybe a ridge seam on an attic above a first floor can be seen by a window on a second floor, but seems aren't so ugly anyhow.

??

Yes you did, but you snipped it, so only those reading then will know.

I didn't say that. "you haven't seen it on the roof". You just made that up.

Big deal. Is that what this is about, that you're an expert on how it's done because you've done it?? Get it through your head that not everyone does it the same way.

That's no good reason to get nasty and vulgar.

I don't like how you've been behaving in this thread but I haven't done that.

I explained above why that would be hard to do, even though probably no ridge vent requires cap shingles.

You realize, I hope, that anything that goes over a 6" opening will also go over a 3 inch opening.

I don't snip parts of posts in the middle of disputes. But I just pointed out one place where you had snipped something you then disputed.

Reply to
micky

Just look at who's saying I need to "leave it alone". Here you are back again, hypocrite. And note *again* I didn't revive this thread. And you interject yourself anywhere. You started an attack on me in another thread, which was totally civil until you started in, not with relevant info, but just an attack on me. It's obvious you don'teven have experience with the question I posed. Nor do you apparently have anything to add about roof venting here either. So, speak for yourself, asshole.

Reply to
trader_4

I woudl be worried about that myself, except I know there is a lot of air coming in the soffitt vents. They get covered with milkweed seeds, along the entire width of the house, and have to be cleaned off every few years. That wouldn't happen if there were just passive air flow through them,

One of the milkweed trees died last year, but I noticed a small amount of the seeds in the air yesterday. I'm hoping that's from a tree much farther away, and the soffitts don't have to be cleaned as often.

Reply to
micky

...what a burden to *have* to be right *all* the time. You must be under great mental pressure? Maybe a roof vent would be in order?

Reply to
bob_villa

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 at 11:15:01 AM UTC-4, micky wrote: I've never seen a ridge vent cutout that's 6" wide. Nor do

Still waiting for the link to that "Baltimore" product:

Comes in a roll plastic uses a 6" ridge opening doesn't use cap shingles lasts the life of the roof

I provided you links to the roll type products I'm familiar with. It has only 3 of the above properties.

No practical purpose other than keeping the rain out of the house with all the roll type products that I know about. And rain out with the common rigid style ones that come in sections too. Again, I provided you links. Who should we believe? The install instructions from the manufacturer or you? Hell, just take a look at the product in your hands and you'd know it's not designed to be exposed.

They

Yeah, you won't use google to find that miracle product you claim you have. Wow, how unreasonable of me.

Yes, you made the claim that you believe whatever someone says, as long as they don't have a history of lying. I thought that was pretty silly, but here we are.

Cap shingles are used on top of ridge vents. If you just looked at the few links I provided, you'd see that. But heh, better to curse the darkness, right?

Hell, that plastic roll type product without cap shingles, goes over a 6" gap, is all over Baltimore. And you can't find a link to it? Good grief.

It was in my very first posts and most of the subsequent ones too. Good grief.

Okay, then there must be two types

There is a huge reason to use them with the common, plastic ridge type ones. As I've explained about 4 times now, they are about 4 ft long. They butt together. Without cap shingles over them, rain goes in. Capiche? That's why the install instructions tell you that they are used with cap shingles. That, plus the fact that the plastic isn't designed to be left exposed. If you just pulled up an install sheet, instead of typing away, you'd see that.

Water pouring in through the seams isn't an issue?

Maybe a ridge seam on an attic above a first

Get it through your head that if the product you claim is on your roof exists, is w

I didn't get vulgar. I told you you're an ass.

  1. informal a foolish or stupid person. "that ass of a young man"

No you just drone on, claiming you won't use Google.

You really, really are an imbecile. I provided you with links to the install instructions for the roll type. It's made by all the major manufacturers and every one of them requires that cap shingles go over it. It's not watertight, it's not designed to be fully exposed to the elements. It's a soft, spongy product. Who should we believe? You or OwnensCorning, GAF, etc?? Same thing for the plastic rigid type the install instructions say to put shingles on top. I've installed it. WTF is wrong with you?

Still waiting for a link to the ridge vent product you claim exists with these properties:

roll type plastic goes over a 6" ridge opening installs with no cap shingles lasts the life of the roof

Did I misrepresent anything there?

Reply to
trader_4

Don't wait. I'm not giving any link. If you don't believe me, that's okay. Neither of us have to trust the other. We don't have to borrow money from each other, or tell the other where the loot is hidden, either.

That's not what you said the last time.

You said Installs with no cap shingles.

My vent may well install either way, and if so it fulfills what you said last time but not what you said this time. Have you ever run for elective office?

Not you. One doesn't need shingles to keep the rain out of the house.

Sometimes.

Nonsense. I could only see that they are sometimes. And I don't dispute that they are sometimes.

You are a big source of grief. I never said "all over Baltimore"

I don't think so, but most importantly it wasn't in the only new one after being gone 6 days. You don't think I reread your old ones, do you? If 6 days isn't "a while" let me know what is.

Are you *trying* to look silly?

You have NEVER said they butt together. I read one brand that overlapped.

There would be some reason to use cap shingles if they butt together, but as I told you, I'm talking about a roll vent, one piece.

I read one pdf file and one is enough and though it said at one point to install cap shingles, it said nothing about what happened if one didn't. Nothing about not being designed to be left exposed. You've forgotten what you said or you're making stuff up now I think.

wouldn't pour in with overlapping sections.

As I said, it 's also no good reason to get nasty.

You've been vulgar so long you don't remember what's vulgar.

That's meaning 2.

So if you don't like it, stop replying.

Mine is. Rain landing next to it could splatter sideways and some water could** come in that way, but no water will come from rain landing on it. I think that's because it's shaped like a wide short mushroom, so that rain coming off the top drips off and doesn't run down the side where the openings are. **It could but I don't think it does. I've been in the attic during rains, and never noticed water spray from the ridge vent. OTOH, I have noticed it a bit from where the roof fan is.

*This* is what you said the last itme.

You know that if it goes over a 6" opening, it will go over a 3 inch opening, right?

Reply to
micky

That sounds like a really good idea, I'll try it if it will fit.

Reply to
TimR

Of course I don't believe you because the product with the characteristics you claim, doesn't exist. If it did, we'd have seen that link by now.

..

Doesn't use cap shingles and installs with no cap shingles are the same thing. Good grief.

You don't even know WTF is up there. That's clear by now. You also claimed that your miracle attic with a fan is only a couple degrees warmer than ambient, when it's 80 - 100F outside. No one here can possibly believe that either.

You do need cap shingles over the roll type ridge vent material, which is what you claim you have. Or over the plastic rigid type too. If you'd just look at the links you'd see that. You really, really ought to just stop.

Sometimes? The install instructions I showed you they get installed with the products I cited all the time.

Here's a GAF install video:

GAF install instructions:

Owens Corning:

Air Vent:

Now where is *your* product sheet, install instructions or anything else for your miracle roll product?

You said that what I see here in NJ isn't representative of what you have in Baltimore. I see ridge vent products like the above all over NJ and they are installed with cap shingles. So, if what you say is true, it's reasonable to assume that they exist in Baltimore. That's what *you* said and implied.

How can anyone be so wrong? Let's recap. You first posted this:

"When I got my new roof, the first row of shingles went over the lip of the ridge vent. "

My very first response:

"Ridge vents are made of plastic in the case of rigid ones, or just roll material in the case of cheaper ones. I've never seen one that was not designed and spec'd to be installed with shingles covering it. For one thing, it would have to be continuous, one length and rain impermeable. The rigid ones come in

4ft lengths and just butt together, the joints are not watertight and not intended to be made watertight. The cheaper roll type are continuous, but they are foam type, flimsy, water would go right through them. Plus either type is not designed to be exposed to sun and the elements. Shingles are. Plus they would look like hell without cap shingles. IDK anyone that puts in a roof without cap shingles.

I provided you with videos, product links that are 100% consistent with the above. Oh, and let's not forget the fact that the *first row* of shingles is obviously not at the top. Nuff said about your roof knowledge.

From my first response to your post: "The rigid ones come in

4ft lengths and just butt together, the joints are not watertight and not intended to be made watertight. The cheaper roll type are continuous, but they are foam type, flimsy, water would go right through them. Plus either type is not designed to be exposed to sun and the elements. Shingles are."

Yes, a roll type that:

Is plastic Goes over a 6" cutout Doesn't use cap shingles Last the life of the roof.

Still waiting for the spec sheet, install sheet, *anything* on that mystery product.

You really, really need to just stop. You're clueless as to roof construction. They don't tell you what will happen if you don't install cap shingles because no one using those products is dumb enough to think a foam product 1" thick is going to be left exposed.

Same to you. And note that for guy that's complaining about the lack of civility, how the internet works, all you had to do from the beginning was provide us a link to the product you have. Almost everyone here does it, but supposedly it's just an unreasonable request. Of course the real reason is the product doesn't exist. So, then it degenerates, but who's fault is it?

Still waiting for a link to the ridge vent product you claim exists with these properties:

PS: I see you're still incapable of trimming posts. Figures.

Reply to
trader_4

You wouldn't see the link from me. I'm not giving links. And you've only given 2 or 3, so I don't think your last statement follows.

No, they're not.

Well I've never measured it. maybe some day I will.

No you don't.

A) There are more one set of install instructions in this world. No reason to assume they all say that. B) When instructions do say Install cap shingles, what they mean is that if you are going to install cap shingles, this is the point at which you should do so. C) Even if for the sake of argument we assumed that all instructions said one should install CS, we all know that tradesmen violate such instructions frequently, often with no problem.

When you negate the sentence that requires changing all of it.

Anyhow, this iis what I said "More to the point, how many attics with ridge vents in Baltimore have you been in? " I asked a question. I didn't make any affirmative statement at all. I've never claimed to know what they have in most of Baltimore.

They do exist in Baltimore, but I never said "all over Baltimore" and I never implied it.

Okay. I take it back. You said in your first post over a week ago now that sometimes they butt together. Gling out of town tends to make one forget the local problems. That's why people go out of town during vacations.

And I probably didn't pay much attention I guess since my vent is one piece. Any time spent discussing stiff vents in more than one piece is not productive in deciding how roll vents are installed.

Keep waiting. I'm not looking and so I won't find anything.

"All you have to do"! That's plenty. More than I'm willing to do.

When they feel like it. Not when someone who ought to take his word for what his own house looks like tries to pressure him into it.

That's not so.

Yours.

Reply to
micky