Changing a Light to a 3 Way

I have a light at the bottom of a staircase with a single switch at the top of the stairs. I want to make this a 3 way setup, adding a second switch at the bottom of the steps.

The current switch has only 2 wires going to it so I'd assume that the power is going directly to the light.

Can someone provide a wiring diagram for converting this to a 3 way. Thanks.

Reply to
JAG

Joseph Meehan

You can't do it without either replacing the cable from the fixture to the

existing switch to something with 3 conductors (plus ground) or converting the switch wiring to a signal circut and using a relay.

Reply to
default

Here's an alternative to rewiring. There may be others.

No Spam