Change glass top on smoothtop range?

I recently bought a GE drop-in range with smoothtop in a speckled grey color. Now I see glass tops in a nicer real black color. How tough is it to change the top? Can you change brands of top? Does it really have to do more than fit the location of the burner elements underneath?

Reply to
edfan

First, find out the replacement cost of the glass. Then compare that to the cost of a new stove. Then decide if this is something you still want to do.

Dave

Reply to
DaveG

It depends on how whatever model of GE range you have was designed. That job can range from not too difficult to more difficult than it should need to be. Someone which experience can often change on in less than 1/2 hour.

You mean a top from a different appliance manufacturer? Unlikely. If you can find another brand (like Kenmore) which was also made by GE, than a top from that model *might* fit on yours.

That's part of it although usually only cosmetic that the burners line up with the patterns on the glass. The real problem is finding one the right size AND which will mate properly to the rest of the range. Most often the glass and its surrounding metal frame are 1 part and come together already assembled.

I agree with DaveG that you should first get prices for replacement tops to see if it will be in your budget. Replacement glass range tops can easily be $250+ and GE's replacement parts are usually on the high end of the scale.

You can read about what information is needed to get replacement parts for your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked below.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

I called around and got a $280+ spread in the price of this repair/remodel of the smoothtop!

I think the many media stings that have been run the last 20 years all end up in the same ballpark for a reason: they tell the truth. About half of the appliance repair shops out there lie, cheat and steal. This is one scummy industry. It has so many crooks, there's not much point in fixing anything.

AMAZING, how graphic the evidence is that this field is untrustworthy. I'll keep that in mind as I buy in future.

Reply to
edfan

Try:

I bought a top from them.

Reply to
Bob in CT

You're jumping to conclusions here. What it really means is that no one is prepared or able to give you an exact price for a job they do not know how long is going to take. Quite understandable IMO since they haven't even seen *your* range yet!

I've been on the end of jobs where some office person guestimates the cost of repair and I have to go out and have to explain to the consumer that the person which estimated the quote did not have the knowledge of their specific product to give an absolute, carved in stone, price.

You NEVER know what you're going to run into until you're doing the job. The fastest way to go out of business is to under quote on repairs and be held to it by the consumer.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

The item has not been installed yet. The model number says all that has to be said. It's a GE drop-in stove, less than a month old. If these guys can't get up a guesstimate with all that going on, plus SEEING it in the back of the truck in one case, they should be in another business. Say used cars.

Stings say it again and again the last few DECADES: the appliance repair industry is one step away from organized crime. It's something people should consider when they have contact.

Reply to
edfan

I'll install it as is. It's just one more note in my list of things to check before finalizing remodeling plans: avoid appliance repair types. If anything needs repair, get rid of it or prepare to be ripped off.

-.-

Reply to
edfan