Change Blades (SAFELY) on Riding Lawn Mower

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I use a limb. It's easier and gives me a chance to clean and inspect the belly of that baby. A come-along and towing straps help too. A torque wrench is also a good idea, as your manual will probably tell you.
Being no expert, for the first blade change I called in a guy from Sears. Guess what, he used a chain and a winch from his van to lift the mower.
Anyway, you shouldn't do anything that you're not comfortable with... Have fun with your new toy.
I use a floor jack placed under the front frame cross member and a 2X on the jack plate to provide a cushion. Jack the front end up. place a jack stand under it for safety and block the rear wheels to prevent it from possibly rolling back. Reach under the deck to remove the bolts on the blades,. I have a 52" deck with 3 blades. I use a pneumatic wrench to remove the bolts. Works like a charm and much easier than a ratchet Be sure to block the blades from turning with a 2X or wear gloves, as the blades will turn when you loosen and tighten the bolts. Do not loose the lock washers and be sure to seat onto the star washer before tightening the bolts. I clean the deck at first and last of season this way and put new blades on the beginning of the season. cc

I've got a 5-year-old White 42" cut (double blades).
I used to remove the deck to change the blades, but I found a much easier way.
I have a 4-ton automotive hydraulic floor jack. I just jack up the front end* about 2 feet, and the underside of the deck is very easy to get at. Takes about 10 minutes from start to finish to change both blades. I use a short piece of 2x4 to block the blades from rotating when loosening or tightening the nut.
* Note: the White has cast-iron front axle.