Chamberlain Opener won't open/close

I just moved into a new house with a 1/2hp Chamberlain chain drive. The opener quit after a week. When I press the wall switch, I get nothing on the first press and then a sound like it's trying to open but nothing..the slack in the chain isn't being tightened either when pressed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks