chalky film n everything!

My dishwasher leaves a chalky film on my dishes and has the same film all over the inside of the washer. I have used a dishwasher cleaner that I found at a home improvement store and that seemed to have cleaned some of the film. Can I run an empty cycle with something like CLR in the detergent dispenser? I have an idea it's the water (Northeast FL) causing this and I can't afford to install a water softening system right now.

Reply to
Christina

I suspect you are right about the water. I don't know what is available now or in your area, but I would check to see if there are some water softener products available for dish washers.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you are using a liquid dishwasher detergent, switch to a powder like Cascade Complete. They work much better.

Reply to
Art

I, too, live in FL and calcium/lime scale deposits get on glasses and shower doors etc. If you can possibly manage, buy a water softener to treat the water. If not, you might try getting some rinse aid especially for the dishwasher. White vinegar added to rinse water helps a little when washing clothes. My water softener broke three weeks ago and we are trying to fix it ourselves, ordering parts, etc. The glasses have already started looking cloudy.

Reply to
Dorot29701

Reply to
nospambob

Is the chalky film removable, i.e., by rubbing or rinsing an item with vinegar? Harry

Reply to
HarryS