Chair goes too far back

Page 1 of 2
I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?

Just imagine how much more help we could be if we had even the slightest inkling as to what type of chair you are talking about.
"a chair for my outdoor table on the deck" doesn't give us a lot to work with.

It is just a generic chair for an outside table. When you lean back it keeps going over. I can't find either. This is what it looks like. The ones with the round bases. http://www.doitbest.com/Patio+sets-Do+it+Best-model-A-7A06-doitbest-sku-8 00281.dib
Never worked on one of those. Wish I could offer more. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
It is just a generic chair for an outside table. When you lean back it keeps going over. I can't find either. This is what it looks like. The ones with the round bases. http://www.doitbest.com/Patio+sets-Do+it+Best-model-A-7A06-doitbest-sku-8 00281.dib
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."-- Claire Wolfe

Do you have an identical but non-tipping chair?? Compare the mounting differences.
In wrote:

I assume it's a swivel base? If so, the only thing I can think of is the base(post) on the chair is improperly mounted. Try removing it and turning it around, it should change the center of the chair and eliminate the tipping. If not, get new chairs<g>
On 06/04/2013 11:20 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My guess is that it is a reclining chair, which is now reclining too far, to the point that it is wanting to tip backwards. In such a scenario, one would first have to ascertain the specific reclining mechanism (like a spring lever), then find out why it's behavior is different now than it was before (ie, what broke).
Jon

Nothing obvious... even comparing it with the one that is still good. That was one of the reasons I asked for suggestions as to what to look for.

Come on Oren, it's just like 1000 other chairs. You can't tell him how to fix it <g> .
I agree, a picture or make/model number always helps for starters.

I have some pics, should have them up on flickr by tomorrow. I'll post the URLs then.

Kurt, I didn't mean to sound like I was getting on your case. I meant it in a generic sense and I know sometimes we all forget.

I just took it as a suggestion of how I could get better advice. Nothing more. After 15 years as a Psych RN, I am hard to upset anyway. As I mention to people quite often it is hard to get my riled up since I am used to having been insulted by pros (grin).

sudden

ions on

e?

im

Kurt-
I stayed out of the thread until some of the details were sorted out.
I've sat in these (similar) chairs at someone's house.. they fun & comfortable but I found them to be border line for me wrt to balance. I've had them "spook" me a couple times by giving me the feeling they were going over backwards.
I always felt that the circular bases were just a bit too small.
But if you've got some chairs that "work" & one that doesn't, I'm a bit stumped ... maybe just variation in spring force?

sudden

ions on

e?

im

Are you going to post pix of the bad chair as well as pix of a good chair (the actual mechanism, that is, not the catalog/poster pictures you originally posted?

I don't know what all the fuss is about.
It's a generic chair, so any generic fix should work.

Can't...he needs the generic fix that is specific to his generic chair.

Sorry. Client problems have surfaced. It may be this weekend before I have the time. I'll post when I get them up.
We need photos. Too many different types of chairs. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
I have a chair for my outdoor table on the deck that has all of sudden decided to go back WAY too far and nearly tips over. Any suggestions on how to either fix it or McGyver something so it won't kill people?

Move it to the deck rail. Tie it to it if needed.

Some of the new chairs use two rectangular blocks of metal instead of more traditional springs. They are like a single layer leaf spring. If one of the two is broken or has become disconnected, it might not be obvious when looking at it without someone sitting in it try to lean back.