chainsaw will not start

I growed up under a shade tree. Remove the plug, use the favorite oil gun and squirt a few drops into the cylinder, rotate and spray some liquid explosive - gas/spray, etc.

The dang motor will fire if it has spark and not send shrapnel flying.

Reply to
Oren

So dealer says it's cyclinder/piston damage as a result of dirt getting through. They say they talked to Dolmar and Dolmar will cover under warranty but they will not replace the saw. Given it has run through only 1 gal of gas (with Opti2), and they don't know the cause of the problem, I'm insisting on a new saw.

Saying they have fixed the problem, but don't know the cause, seems like fools gold to me.

I did notice what seemed like a lot of dirt inside the air cleaner. There was an oily black film that I could wipe out with my finger. I don't know if that's expected or not, but it seemed to me like the air cleaner was not working.

If they have not fixed the source of the problem -- then repairing the cylinder/piston is of little value. Also, I had to ask several times before they said "oh yes, the piston was replaced also". So this whole ordeal is getting a little shady to me.

I'm trying to call Dolmar direct and get a new saw.

I live in Stihl country -- and if this dealer / Dolmar does not want to do it right, not only will it be the last Dolmar I buy, I can assure them I will do my very best that it's the last one they sell. It will start with a deluge of posts on message boards and will come up on just about every conversation I have with neighbors, friends, and family.

Reply to
kh fami

Things break. Happens all the time. A truck I have started to gallop and buck like a horse with only 25.000 miles. I explained to the service manager that it seems like the transmission.

He called me later at home. "We ordered a new factory transmission!" It will be here in a day or so. I really didn't need details of exactly how something broke.

Ensure the air filter is installed in the correct orientation.

I worked with a guy that got into a big beef with the water utility company. Stopped paying his bill, so the company turned off his water. Could not shit, shower or shave. He was going to bring the company to their knees and make them suffer.

I advised him to grow flowers in his toilet, until he brought these heathens to justice.

Reply to
Oren

I believe in sharing fair and honest information.

In this case Dolmar is claiming the damage is from the dealer's recommendation to use Opti 2 oil at the pouch per 1 gallon ratio, which I believes comes out to about 70:1. Dealer says cause of failure is due to defective air filter. I used the saw for 1 gallon of gas. Maybe that is 10 hours. I liken that to buying a new car, driving it 1000 miles and the engine freezes. I expect a new car, not a new engine. Do these guys really believe I'm going to every buy Dolmar again? Simple logic -- saw is like new, cost to repair is $200, cost of new is $400. A $200 savings to them now is going to result in me never buying Dolmar again, probably not going back to this dealer for anything else, and always talking poorly about this experience. Was it worth it?

Reply to
kh fami

If they can prove it, they, or you, should go after the dealer. Opti 2 recommends the 1.8 oz pack per gallon. Maybe go after them?

I cannot think of a single way the air filter would cause engine failure unless it was absent.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I doubt you are going to put them out of business. It should be like new when you get it back. Altho I understand your frustration, is it worth getting your blood pressure all elevated, people thinking you're a raving lunatic for nothing more than a prettier saw?

Hank

Reply to
Hank

If it was me, I'd take a lunch, and go walk on the PUBLIC sidewalk in front of the business with a sign that says in colorful letters, CAUTION - DOLMAR IS CRAP! You cannot block a driveway, but you can walk slowly across it so people have a long time to read your sign. You may not enter the roadway, or put your sign into traffic. You may not approach people and tell them your story, but you can respond if they ask first. You cannot touch anyone with your sign, so hold it vertical so you don't accidentally pop someone. These are the laws, and if you stay within the law, you're good to go.

I bet you're not out there until it is time to eat your lunch. If they don't make it right, the next day, take a friend.

I bet they make it right.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

A homeless man in Miami felt ripped off by his lawyers. He found out the name of the company or something was not a registered trademark or copyright?

Later, the lawyers bought back the rights to use the name (S).

Reply to
Oren

Reminds me of the construction guy who hoisted his bum Cadillac in the air from a crane every night with a sign saying this was a lemon sold by so and so. Didn't take long for the dealer to make it right, especially after the hanging car showed up on the evening news.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Ah.. justification to buy that crane I've been longing for.

Reply to
kh fami

Listen -- I'm just trying to share useful info.

Something is obviously wrong here.

The inside of the filter had black grime in it - the INSIDE of the filter. I could wipe it out with my finger. There is a port on the top side of the carb - atmospheric pressure - that had a small grommet material that housed a small fitting from the air cleaner that fit down inside of it. In the replacement filter and new model that is GONE. The dealer suspects that is to blame. The distributor went so far as to say the dirt inside the filter is by design. Now that is a new one to me.

Opti claims their 1 gallon pouch of 70:1 is actually better than Dolmar 50:1, because the Dolmar has solids that Opti does not have. So their claim is Dolmar oil 50:1 is less lubricating than Opti 2

70:1.

The dealer has been an Opti distributer for many years and stands behind Opti. I have spoken to all parties on the phone.

Reply to
kh fami

The dealer replaced my 5100 with a 5105.

He's pulled Dolmar products off the shelf for the moment and made calls to former buyers of Dolmar products to advise them of this issue.

The 5105 air filter has been changed. In fact, replacement filters in general have been changed. They have closed off the small port atop the carb.

Reply to
kh fami

The dealer took my defective 5100 and gave me a new 5105.

It does run.

The dealer is not happy with Dolmar nor his distributor. He has pulled all Dolmar products from his storefront. I have 2 dealers in the area and combined they have had 10 saws fail this way. Newer saws -- engine failure.

I am anxious to use it however. The 5105 does have a newly designed air filter that no longer has a nipple part that used to fit down loosely over the atmospheric opening in the top of the carb. The filter has been sealed at that point and a hard foam seal glued atop the carb.

The dealer insists opti 2 oil is far superior to Dolmar oil and that I can run it either at the 70:1 pouch ratio or even the 100:1 bottle mix ratio.

I'm leaning towards putting in 2.4 oz per gallon (double dose) to get very close to 50:1. That way, if this one fails, Dolmar has nothing hard to stand on.

Reply to
kh fami