Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ?

Excellent advice. What I do is stand to left of the "plane" of the chainsaw bar. When a kickback happens, the tip of the bar can go up into the air and toward you. If you are not standing in the vertical path of where the bar would go if it went straight up, then you are more likely to avoid injury.

Also I wrap my thumbs *under* the bar and handle when holding the chainsaw and always hold the saw with both hands. Wrapping your thumbs under the handles, especially your left hand, will protect your left hand from slipping off the top bar in the event of a "push back". This is when the log you are cutting closes at the top of the cut and binds the top portion of the saw chain.

And while cutting, I stand with my legs spread apart for forward and backward support. (So someone could push me or pull me from behind and I would not fall forward or backward.) This is for a "pull-in" situation where the bottom portion of the cut closes in on the chain and the saw then wants to pull you forward. I don't want to be falling forward onto the chain.

Also I have my own "two foot minimum airspace" behind what I am cutting rule. If there is a pile of logs to be cut, I remove a log from the pile and place it so there is nothing but airspace behind that log for two feet. This protects from accidental "kick-up" where the upper end of the bar accidentally contacts a piece of wood behind the piece you are cutting and the bar then flies up into the air. It also protects from a "combination pull-in - kick-up" situation where the cut closes on the bottom of the chain, the saw is pulled forward, then contacts a piece of wood behind what you are cutting, then the bar flies up into the air.

Just understanding what can happen while cutting with a chainsaw (reactive forces), then standing properly, and holding the saw properly, can go a long way toward avoiding injury should a kickback happen.

Then advanced cutting is learning how to cut to keep the cut from closing on the chain, keep logs from rolling over you, keep limbs under tension from flying up and hitting you, etc. Here is some info on this...

Felling and Bucking Techniques for Woodland Owners...

Bill

Hee hee. It gets worse as you get older, by the way.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Every now and again, glance at the tip of the bar. The tip should not be touching anything.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Lets hope you are right handed. The bar is on the right side of the saw. The safe usage is to keep the bar as far to the right as you comfortably can. So, if the saw kicks back it goes over your right shoulder, instead of through your head.

I've seen guys with the blade right in line with their face. DUMB!!!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon