Chainsaw Stops running

Chainsaw stops running after several minutes of use. I have new gas, I cleaned the air filter. It just dies and will restart after sitting for 10 minutes. Do I have a clogged fuel line? Never had trouble with this saw.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Had a Ford like that once.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

A failing ignition module will cause this, and it's almost impossible to troubleshoot with certainty except by replacement. They'll quit when they get hot, and will work fine once they cool to a particular temperature.

Reply to
Robert Barr

If the fuel line is clogged it wouldn't run several seconds let alone several minutes. Try a new plug, it's the cheapest thing on the list of possibilities. Oh and make sure your fuel has the right amount of oil in it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

A couple things to try.

First, clean the saw as completely as possible. Chain saws are air cooled, and any dirt, grease, and (fancy that!) sawdust contributes to over heating.

Second, when it's about to die, try loosening the gas cap. On lawn mowers, sometimes they get clogged vents.

The other guy likely has the answer, the ignition module failing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some (?) small engines have a 'spark suppressor' screen on the exhaust. If this gets plugged with carbon, it can cause similar problems. At least, it did with my weedeater. Someone else just posted a similar story here.

George

Reply to
George

I am down to two possibilities. The spark plug and the ignition module. If the plug was bad I would have trouble starting the saw and it would not run properly, not shut down after several minutes of normal use; correct? I did completely clean the saw, bar, air filter, etc. Could the carb be out of whack?

Reply to
Matt

Not necessarily; a temperature-related problem is possible there too, although IMO fairly unlikely.

You might as well replace it, though, if it will make you feel better: it's a five-minute job and a two-dollar part.

Probably not -- any problem internal to the carburetor isn't going to show up after ten minutes, it'll be there at the beginning. Except for one thing: You

*are* turning the choke off once you get it started, aren't you?
Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes of course the I am turning the choke off. I will try the plug and the module today.

matt

Reply to
Matt

BTW, do Home Depot/Lowes stock this ignition module? I do not see it in the manual.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

No one mentioned chain oil, so I will.

Reply to
willshak

Chain oil is good too. Thats the first thing I check before starting the saw. Also, that was the first thing I thought of when the chain stopped, something binding the chain/clutch.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Try this:

Run the saw until it quits. Pull the plug. Pull the cord so you can see if you got a spark. If you have a spark, something other than the ignition module is the problem. If you don't have a spark, it is likely the ignition module.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Alright, $50 for an ignition module and the SOB still will not start! I put a new plug in it too, I have a good spark. This POS is costing me some cash now.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

On 11 May 2007 15:45:29 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Matt quickly quoth:

My neigbor bought a brand new Husky which did that. I tracked it down to a faulty gas cap which wasn't venting. Loosen it a bit and see if you get a sucking sound when it won't start. If so, try it again. It should start right back up then.

- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hmmm, Gas tank vent?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Guaranteed solution: Buy a Husqvarna.

Reply to
Steve B

Is the chain oil flowing? They can get plugged up.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

try this. i had the exact same problem but it was a couple of years ago so i dont remember exactly what screws i turned, but.........on the side of the case, there might be one or two holes which access two screws on the carburator. these screws are labeled "H" and "L". i think i opened up the "H" screw a bit which solved the problem. cant hurt to try, you can always turn the screws back to where you started. i believe these screws adjust the rich/lean mixture. (i'd start by counting the number of turns to close them all the way so you can get them back to their original positions.)

you might try this forum. they have a chainsaw section.

JohnnyYooper

I've heard sometimes you have to pull the muffler off. Using a wooden insturment, clean the carbon from the exhaust port.

The reason you don't use a metal insturment, they plate the cheap metal, and a nick or scratch does serious damage.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon