Chainsaw sharpener

Doing some heavy duty cutting. Need to occasionally field sharpen a blade. Are the Oregon/Dremel/et al 12 v. sharpeners worth it? Or is it just as easy to get a good eye, and do it with a few strokes here and there? I bought a Craftsman a long time ago. It was like putting together an Erector set with little instructions, and had so many moving parts, and clamp and unclamp. I just need to zip, zap, and go. I do see making myself a bar clamp that will hold the entire saw, maybe a little cradle for the motor to take some of the weight off the bar, but something to hold the whole thing rock steady during sharpening.

Should I go with a 12v. model, and which one, or should I just get rat tail files, and read up on it. I have a good idea about the round ones, and so far had decent luck field sharpening saws in the field. I still have no idea about the small mill bastard flat file, nor its use, nor its setup/parameters. Help here?

Time is important, and I don't want to spend a lot of time in the field. I can do that at home on an off day, but when I hit some dirt or a rock, I need to get back sawing in a hurry.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I've been sharpening mine with a plain old Dremel tool and a diamond burr from a set I bought at Horrible Fright . Just happened the set I have has one that's the right size for both of my saws , and it works just swell - a lot better than the file I used to use . A battery dremel should be the cat's ass for out in the woods ! So far most of my cutting has been right near the house/shop area , but as I burn the dead stuff I'm going to have to range farther afield . Good excuse to get a battery powered unit !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Ever think about buying a couple of extra chains ? It may be quicker to change them than to sharpen the saw in the field. Then sharpen them at home or dropping them off at a place to have them sharpened.

As for the flat file, it is normally used after you have used the round file several times. Maybe a youtube vid will show you how to use it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Chain saw files are needed, they are the same diameter, the length of the file. Rat tail files taper, and won't work for your application. The one time I used electric sharpener, the stone wasn't much use, and had to be run full RPM. It may have just been worn out. The flat file is for taking down the rakers or depth gages.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I agree...multiple chains...and maybe one of these?

Bob_Villa

Harbor Freight has a chain saw sharpener for sale at $39.99. You have to remove the chain from the saw to use it, so it's probably just used at the beginning of a job and then use hand files to touch up during the job if needed. Here is the official HF video for using the sharpener.

or:

willshak

Using a round file is just about as quick, and one less thing to break/drag around with you.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

  1. It is a bar, not a blade (sorry but that is a common error)
  2. the flat file is used on the depth gauges with a depth guage filing gui de.
  3. Use chainsaw files, not rat tails.
  4. For in the field "Stump Vices" are available. Has a clamp on one end, a spike on the other. Hammer it into a stump or other wood surface and go to it.

I use a filing guide that clamps on the saw bar, holds the chain firmly, no need to pay attention to angles, etc. while filing. Take my less thatn 10 minutes to do a 20" loop giving each tooth 5 strokes.

Primary thing about hand filing - use SHARP files. Be willing to throw one away as soon as it loses the sharpness. File a few chains with a new file and you soon learn when to toss one. I buy them by the dozen (usually last me about a year but then I do 10+ cords a year.

Second thing about filing - do it before the chain "needs" sharpening.

I carry at least 3 chains per saw size (16" 20" 24" 28") and change them ou t rather than file in the field.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

10 commandments, not 12. 12 disciples, not 10. Sip your martinis, not gulp them. Other than that, pretty good.

(If someone doesn't get this, I'll provide a URL, or go ask a Catholic priest.)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And "We do not refer to The Holy Trinity as Big Daddy , Junior, and The Spook " ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

She's the blessed Vigin Mary, not Mary with the cherry.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And let's not forget the taffy pull at St. Peter's ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

That one is memorable. What choir boy doesn't love a good taffy pull with the priests?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I got one of those sharpeners, it does a good job. I have two chains so that I can replace them in the field if one gets dull. If that happens, I sharpen the dull one as soon as I get home to be ready for the next outing.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

I bought my brother one. I give my chains to my brother. I get them back after a while. They cut real good.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

It's now $30 W/coupon!

Bob_Villa

I have one. It does a fair job but takes too long. I can do a better job and way faster with a file guide that sets all the angles.

The major clue to hand filing is SHARP! files and be willing to throw one away when it quits cutting well.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I have been digging out old sharpeners, etc. With the exception of a stump vise, I think that so far, I have had very good luck in a short time with just a file.

Stefve

Reply to
SteveB

On our last job, a 80' high cottonwood, I just used the round file. I did see that I do need to make a mount for a bar clamp (also called a stump clamp when pounded into a log) to hold my saw while sharpening. With those little indicators, and steady stroking, about six strokes per tooth comes out with remarkable sharpness. Haven't gotten to the other one that uses the flat file yet, and think I may buy one of those that has the guide on it. Or not. We did some heavy work last Saturday, enough to put me in bed until this morning. Buddy's 460 Husky came in, so we are dying to try it on the last 80 footer of this job. 24" bar. Think I'll go 455 w/20".

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

After doing about 16 hours of work, I have decided to make and build a bar clamp. One for my siderail on the trailer, and one to hammer into a stump or log to hold saw for hand filing. I have actually gotten to where I can get a decent sharp edge with just a round file.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB