Chainsaw sharpener

Page 1 of 2
    Doing some heavy duty cutting. Need to occasionally field sharpen a blade. Are the Oregon/Dremel/et al 12 v. sharpeners worth it? Or is it just as easy to get a good eye, and do it with a few strokes here and there? I bought a Craftsman a long time ago. It was like putting together an Erector set with little instructions, and had so many moving parts, and clamp and unclamp. I just need to zip, zap, and go. I do see making myself a bar clamp that will hold the entire saw, maybe a little cradle for the motor to take some of the weight off the bar, but something to hold the whole thing rock steady during sharpening.
Should I go with a 12v. model, and which one, or should I just get rat tail files, and read up on it. I have a good idea about the round ones, and so far had decent luck field sharpening saws in the field. I still have no idea about the small mill bastard flat file, nor its use, nor its setup/parameters. Help here?
Time is important, and I don't want to spend a lot of time in the field. I can do that at home on an off day, but when I hit some dirt or a rock, I need to get back sawing in a hurry.
TIA
Steve

I've been sharpening mine with a plain old Dremel tool and a diamond burr from a set I bought at Horrible Fright . Just happened the set I have has one that's the right size for both of my saws , and it works just swell - a lot better than the file I used to use . A battery dremel should be the cat's ass for out in the woods ! So far most of my cutting has been right near the house/shop area , but as I burn the dead stuff I'm going to have to range farther afield . Good excuse to get a battery powered unit !
--
Snag

Ever think about buying a couple of extra chains ? It may be quicker to change them than to sharpen the saw in the field. Then sharpen them at home or dropping them off at a place to have them sharpened.
As for the flat file, it is normally used after you have used the round file several times. Maybe a youtube vid will show you how to use it.
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:22:55 PM UTC-6, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I agree...multiple chains...and maybe one of these? http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-chain-saw-sharpener-68221-8346.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMjY3MDA4NzkiLCJza3UiOiI2ODIyMSIsImlzIjoiMjkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk%0D%0AIjoiODM0NiJ9%0D%0A
On 1/15/2014 10:59 PM, SteveB wrote:

diameter, the length of the file. Rat tail files taper, and won't work for your application. The one time I used electric sharpener, the stone wasn't much use, and had to be run full RPM. It may have just been worn out. The flat file is for taking down the rakers or depth gages.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
SteveB wrote:

Harbor Freight has a chain saw sharpener for sale at $39.99. You have to remove the chain from the saw to use it, so it's probably just used at the beginning of a job and then use hand files to touch up during the job if needed. Here is the official HF video for using the sharpener.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4MxO0tC0OY&list=PLE117DBDBFDE28DFA&feature
-overview-vl or: http://preview.tinyurl.com/kaga866
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:46:57 AM UTC-5, willshak wrote:

I got one of those sharpeners, it does a good job. I have two chains so that I can replace them in the field if one gets dull. If that happens, I sharpen the dull one as soon as I get home to be ready for the next outing.
Paul

I bought my brother one. I give my chains to my brother. I get them back after a while. They cut real good.
Greg
On 1/17/2014 8:34 AM, Pavel314 wrote:

After doing about 16 hours of work, I have decided to make and build a bar clamp. One for my siderail on the trailer, and one to hammer into a stump or log to hold saw for hand filing. I have actually gotten to where I can get a decent sharp edge with just a round file.
Steve
On Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:46:57 AM UTC-6, willshak wrote:

It's now $30 W/coupon! http://www.harborfreight.com/
On Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:10:26 AM UTC-8, Bob_Villa wrote:

I have one. It does a fair job but takes too long. I can do a better job and way faster with a file guide that sets all the angles.
The major clue to hand filing is SHARP! files and be willing to throw one away when it quits cutting well.
Harry K
On 1/18/2014 11:08 AM, Harry K wrote:

and way faster with a file guide that sets all the angles.

throw one away when it quits cutting well.

Throw away file? Saw? Both?
Steve
On Friday, January 31, 2014 3:09:49 PM UTC-8, SteveB wrote:

What [part of "SHARP files" did you not get?
Harry K
On 1/17/2014 10:22 PM, Bob F wrote:

Funny. I noticed the same thing after wearing out one of those stones. The stones don't last too long, either, once you get a ragged edge anywhere on there. And six smooth rubs of a file will take of far less metal than one of the electrics.
Steve
On 01/15/2014 07:59 PM, SteveB wrote:

Using a round file is just about as quick, and one less thing to break/drag around with you.
Jon
On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:59:38 PM UTC-8, SteveB wrote:

<snip>

1. It is a bar, not a blade (sorry but that is a common error) 2. the flat file is used on the depth gauges with a depth guage filing gui de. 3. Use chainsaw files, not rat tails. 4. For in the field "Stump Vices" are available. Has a clamp on one end, a spike on the other. Hammer it into a stump or other wood surface and go to it.
I use a filing guide that clamps on the saw bar, holds the chain firmly, no need to pay attention to angles, etc. while filing. Take my less thatn 10 minutes to do a 20" loop giving each tooth 5 strokes.
Primary thing about hand filing - use SHARP files. Be willing to throw one away as soon as it loses the sharpness. File a few chains with a new file and you soon learn when to toss one. I buy them by the dozen (usually last me about a year but then I do 10+ cords a year.
Second thing about filing - do it before the chain "needs" sharpening.
I carry at least 3 chains per saw size (16" 20" 24" 28") and change them ou t rather than file in the field.
Harry K
On 1/16/2014 11:18 AM, Harry K wrote:

10 commandments, not 12. 12 disciples, not 10. Sip your martinis, not gulp them. Other than that, pretty good.
(If someone doesn't get this, I'll provide a URL, or go ask a Catholic priest.)
--
.
Christopher A. Young

And "We do not refer to The Holy Trinity as Big Daddy , Junior, and The Spook " ...
--
Snag

On 1/16/2014 6:15 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

And let's not forget the taffy pull at St. Peter's ...
--
Snag