[SOLVED] Chainsaw rope very hard to pull

I picked up a Stihl "Farm Boss" chainsaw at a garage sale, for a real good price. It's old but real clean and came with an extra *new* chain and a case, and more. The new chain is worth what I paid for the whole thing. The guy said it's not been used for about 10 years. I checked the gas tank and it was dry, and I knew it was not gummed up. But when I pulled the rope, it would not budge. The guy told me I could remove the spark plug, so I did. I sprayed some WD40 in the cylinder and was able to pull the rope and turn the engine. I then poured a small amount of motor oil in it, and a little more WD40, and I could easily pull the rope (with spark plug still removed). I pulled it about 20 times, added a little more oil, and pulled it another 10 or 15 times, abnd it pulled real easily, and I could see the piston go up and down.

I put the spark plug back in the engine, and although I could pull the rope, it pulled very hard, but I could hear the compression, so I bought it.

After getting it home, I took the spark plug out again, and sprayed some PB Blaster in the cyl. and added some very light oil, like sewing machine oil, and let it sit for a day, so the oil can get down around the piston rings. I then pulled the rope about 25 times and it pulled real easily (plug removed). I then replaced the plug, and it still pulls very hard.

I know the piston and the rope are working properly. The air cleaner is very clean. So, why does it pull so hard when the spark plug is in the engine? Yes, I know it should pull harder when the plug is in the engine, but not this hard. I pretty much have to use every muscle I have to pull that rope. But without the spark plug, I could probably pull it with one finger. This dont make much sense to me.... [No, it's not oil locked, most of the oil came out of the plug hole when the plug was removed, and I have pulled it at least 10 times with the plug installed, which wore me out.

I have not tried to add gas and run it yet. I want to find out why it pulls so hard before I try to run it. I probably could not pull it fast enough to start it anyhow.

Any ideas ????

Thanks

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Plugged exhaust port...remove the muffler and clean the accumulated carbon. Stihl is a nice unit!

Reply to
bob_villa

On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 03:55:44 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote in

Stuck or defective compression release valve?

CRNG

Agree with Bob. Since it's old and been sitting replace the exhaust gasket while you are cleaning the muffler screen. Also buy a can of starter fluid.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Maybe dirtdobber filled up the muffler/ehaust system.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Hi, Intake or exhaust passage is plugged up or reed(valve) jammed. Since compression is felt, exhaust side?(remove muffler and look) Instead of plug did you try with paper ball plugged into plug hole? It should pop if compression cycle works.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"CRNG" <

wrote in

It may not even _have_ a compression release!

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Probably locked with all the oil in the cylinder. Air compresses, oil does not.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Even if it did, one can still start one not using he CR. It'll pull "stiff" but not "very hard".

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Pull the plug and then try the rope. If it is still stiff, you have a problem. My Remington snaps like crazy when I pull the cord - very high compression. Don't ever try to start it on a ladder or in a tree!!

Reply to
clare

- show quoted text - Pull the plug and then try the rope. If it is still stiff, you have a problem. My Remington snaps like crazy when I pull the cord - very high compression. Don't ever try to start it on a ladder or in a tree!! "

Heh-heh-hehhh! Can you just see him flying off the ladder into a neighbor's swimming pool, trailing smoke from the saw? LOLOL

Reply to
thekmanrocks

That would be a Clark Griswold and National Lampoon moment. But, yes, it would be comical.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

replying to Jerry.Tan, Harry Boling wrote: See if it has a spring-assist starter. If not, see if you can get one for that unit. Put one on my Poulan 3314 and it made a tremendous difference in start-ability.

Reply to
Harry Boling

hard before I try to run it. Bad move. The gas/oil mix lubricates the bearings as well as the rings. You are turning the engine on dry bearings. Very bad. I have a similar situation on a Stihl 026 (hard, jerky pull and won't start). But you have given me an idea: I did leave gas in the saw for three months so possibly the gas varnished in the passages and lubrication is not getting to the bearings and rings. The increased friction on top of the compression would make the starter harder to pull and jerky. So even though I drained the tank and put in fresh fuel it may not be getting through, thus no start. Tomorrow I will remove the spark plug and pull the starter rope and see if I can smell gas fumes at the spark plug hole. If no fumes I may have to rebuild the carburetor. I know this thread is three years old but this particular problem seems to be very common so I am posting for those just now encountering it.

Reply to
rdw8932

It isn't similar, the OP said that his pulls OK with the spark plug removed. If it was dry bearings, he would have trouble pulling it without the plug. Someone years ago suggested looking for a blocked exhaust port, that sounds like a possibility, eg rusted muffler that's plugged or similar. Maybe even insects made a home.

But you have given me an

Reply to
trader_4

replying to trader_4, Will wrote: I'm having this same problem, I took apart the starter assembly on my MS291, and it hasn't run for over a year and, its really hard to pull the starter like im fighting the compression. Its a brand new saw aswell.

Reply to
Will

Will posted for all of us...

Ever hear of a warranty?

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to bob_villa, Sirgerlad wrote: So what do you clean carbon buildup on the top of the ? Yes

Reply to
Sirgerlad

replying to Tony Hwang, Sirgerlad wrote: So, what do you use to clean the carbon buildup on the top of the piston

Reply to
Sirgerlad

Wooden popsicle stick or similar. Nothing metal!

Reply to
Wade Garrett