Chainsaw rope very hard to pull

I picked up a Stihl "Farm Boss" chainsaw at a garage sale, for a real good price. It's old but real clean and came with an extra *new* chain and a case, and more. The new chain is worth what I paid for the whole thing. The guy said it's not been used for about 10 years. I checked the gas tank and it was dry, and I knew it was not gummed up. But when I pulled the rope, it would not budge. The guy told me I could remove the spark plug, so I did. I sprayed some WD40 in the cylinder and was able to pull the rope and turn the engine. I then poured a small amount of motor oil in it, and a little more WD40, and I could easily pull the rope (with spark plug still removed). I pulled it about 20 times, added a little more oil, and pulled it another 10 or 15 times, abnd it pulled real easily, and I could see the piston go up and down.
I put the spark plug back in the engine, and although I could pull the rope, it pulled very hard, but I could hear the compression, so I bought it.
After getting it home, I took the spark plug out again, and sprayed some PB Blaster in the cyl. and added some very light oil, like sewing machine oil, and let it sit for a day, so the oil can get down around the piston rings. I then pulled the rope about 25 times and it pulled real easily (plug removed). I then replaced the plug, and it still pulls very hard.
I know the piston and the rope are working properly. The air cleaner is very clean. So, why does it pull so hard when the spark plug is in the engine? Yes, I know it should pull harder when the plug is in the engine, but not this hard. I pretty much have to use every muscle I have to pull that rope. But without the spark plug, I could probably pull it with one finger. This dont make much sense to me.... [No, it's not oil locked, most of the oil came out of the plug hole when the plug was removed, and I have pulled it at least 10 times with the plug installed, which wore me out.
I have not tried to add gas and run it yet. I want to find out why it pulls so hard before I try to run it. I probably could not pull it fast enough to start it anyhow.
Any ideas ????
Thanks
On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 4:00:49 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Plugged exhaust port...remove the muffler and clean the accumulated carbon. Stihl is a nice unit!
Agree with Bob. Since it's old and been sitting replace the exhaust gasket while you are cleaning the muffler screen. Also buy a can of starter fluid.
Dave M.
On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 03:55:44 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote in

Stuck or defective compression release valve? http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Chainsaw_Compression_Release.html
"CRNG" <

It may not even _have_ a compression release!
On 2/22/2015 12:51 PM, Phil Kangas wrote:

does not.
On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 9:51:39 AM UTC-8, Phil Kangas wrote:

Even if it did, one can still start one not using he CR. It'll pull "stiff" but not "very hard".
Harry K

problem. My Remington snaps like crazy when I pull the cord - very high compression. Don't ever try to start it on a ladder or in a tree!!
7:53 snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote
wrote: - show quoted text - Pull the plug and then try the rope. If it is still stiff, you have a problem. My Remington snaps like crazy when I pull the cord - very high compression. Don't ever try to start it on a ladder or in a tree!! "
Heh-heh-hehhh! Can you just see him flying off the ladder into a neighbor's swimming pool, trailing smoke from the saw? LOLOL

That would be a Clark Griswold and National Lampoon moment. But, yes, it would be comical.

Maybe dirtdobber filled up the muffler/ehaust system.
snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Intake or exhaust passage is plugged up or reed(valve) jammed. Since compression is felt, exhaust side?(remove muffler and look) Instead of plug did you try with paper ball plugged into plug hole? It should pop if compression cycle works.