Chainsaw repair question

Hello,

I have a Craftsman 20" chainsaw that is about 4 years old (Model

358350200). Saturday I was using it and it was running weak, last years gas I assumed. It ran out so I put in some fresh gas. The engine would only run fast for a few seconds, with the choke on. Well after a few minutes of trying the engine wouldn't even pop at all.

I pulled the plug and laid it on the engine and gave the rope a pull and there is no spark. I disconnected the kill wires from the ignition module and tried it again with the same results. New plug-same results.

The exploded view shows this engine has no contacts of any kind that I can see. Just three magnets on the flywheel that pass the coil to create a spark. Reading on the web I found it was probably the ignition module that was bad. The gap was +-.027. I bought a new ignition module and there still is no spark.

I am stumped.

The kill switch grounds the coil. I unhooked it so even a bad switch wouldn't matter.

On mowers there is a flywheel key that needs replaced after hitting something with the blade. Without the contacts/points, the saw should still produce a spark.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Steve

Reply to
SteveSch

Flywheel changed position throwing it out of time? Coil is bad? Only two things I can think of that remain. With that kind of engine just a small deviation in timing (flywheel position) can toss your spark out the window. Does the flywheel have a sheer key that is worn?

Reply to
Meat Plow

My first question - where on earth(pardon the pun) did you find enough metal on a 4 year old Poulan(Craftsman) chain saw to get a verified engine ground for your spark plug?

Try your spark test again with a physical jumper to engine ground - alligator clip or such.

This sounds more like a carb issue so far.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Did you mix the gas with oil first?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yes.

Steve

Reply to
SteveSch

Ok, long story short. I checked where I had the plug grounded and it was metal. I checked it with an ohm meter. It was the cylinder head. My wife says the saw is closer to 8 years old. Sorry. It only has maybe 40-50 hours on it.

I do have it running now. After your reply I remembered that years ago I would use starting fluid to bypass a fuel system so I did that with this saw and it ran a short burst. If I had remembered that earlier I would have saved myself $40 for a new coil. Oh well........

About the no spark. On an old lawnmower you just had to spin, slower than normal pull, the engine to check for a spark. It seems on a chainsaw without points you really have to spin the engine. I yanked it and did finally see a spark. And yes I feel like a dummy.;-)

I took the carb off, disassembled and cleaned it with some spray and it works great. Fired right up. It now idles great, which it only did for the first month when it was new. I was going to get around to looking at that.

Thank you very much for your help.

Steve

Reply to
SteveSch

Thanks. Not like a mower with points, turns out you really need to yank the starter to see a spark. That's why there was none.

It was the carb. I cleaned it and all is well.

Thanks again, Steve

Reply to
SteveSch

Reply to
Larry and a Cat named Dub

I use synthetic, mix it 100:1. I even use it on my 4 cycle motors, have for years just used one 5 gal gas can for everything, no chance at making a mistake and seizing a motor.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I actually use Amsoil synthetic. Have for years, only because I bought a bottle and at 100:1 it lasts for years. ;-)

Steve

Reply to
SteveSch