On mowers there is a flywheel key that needs replaced after hitting something with the blade. Without the contacts/points, the saw should still produce a spark.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance, Steve
On Thu, 03 May 2007 22:20:45 -0600, SteveSch wrote:

Flywheel changed position throwing it out of time? Coil is bad? Only two things I can think of that remain. With that kind of engine just a small deviation in timing (flywheel position) can toss your spark out the window. Does the flywheel have a sheer key that is worn?
--
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
On Fri, 04 May 2007 00:54:56 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

Thanks. Not like a mower with points, turns out you really need to yank the starter to see a spark. That's why there was none.
It was the carb. I cleaned it and all is well.
Thanks again, Steve
SteveSch wrote:

My first question - where on earth(pardon the pun) did you find enough metal on a 4 year old Poulan(Craftsman) chain saw to get a verified engine ground for your spark plug?
Try your spark test again with a physical jumper to engine ground - alligator clip or such.
This sounds more like a carb issue so far.
Rob
On Fri, 04 May 2007 08:42:56 -0400, trainfan1 wrote:

Ok, long story short. I checked where I had the plug grounded and it was metal. I checked it with an ohm meter. It was the cylinder head. My wife says the saw is closer to 8 years old. Sorry. It only has maybe 40-50 hours on it.
I do have it running now. After your reply I remembered that years ago I would use starting fluid to bypass a fuel system so I did that with this saw and it ran a short burst. If I had remembered that earlier I would have saved myself $40 for a new coil. Oh well........
About the no spark. On an old lawnmower you just had to spin, slower than normal pull, the engine to check for a spark. It seems on a chainsaw without points you really have to spin the engine. I yanked it and did finally see a spark. And yes I feel like a dummy.;-)
I took the carb off, disassembled and cleaned it with some spray and it works great. Fired right up. It now idles great, which it only did for the first month when it was new. I was going to get around to looking at that.
Thank you very much for your help.
Steve

Did you mix the gas with oil first?
Steve
On Fri, 04 May 2007 08:16:17 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Yes.
Steve
If you can get it use optimal synthic oil in your two cycle no smokei ,cleany plug ,and no needy for addy I been using it for years and love it

On Sat, 05 May 2007 00:53:53 +0000, Larry and a Cat named Dub wrote:

I use synthetic, mix it 100:1. I even use it on my 4 cycle motors, have for years just used one 5 gal gas can for everything, no chance at making a mistake and seizing a motor.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
On Sat, 05 May 2007 00:53:53 +0000, Larry and a Cat named Dub wrote:

I actually use Amsoil synthetic. Have for years, only because I bought a bottle and at 100:1 it lasts for years. ;-)
Steve