chainsaw recommendations

I'm thinking about getting a small chainsaw. I recently got a BBQ/smoker with a fire box that will not quite take regular cut/split wood. I use seasoned pecan, mespuite, or oak when using the pit, and need something to cut the split firewood down to a size which will fit. I'm wondering how a small saw may hold up. I don't expect to cut large quantities at one time. Any thoughts are appreciated.
I recco the name brand saws, Stihl, Husky/Jonsereds, Dolmar above all others for normal wood-cutting, but in your case, check out the electric saws. Look for power tool name brands, Makita, Dewalt, Craftsman, etc. The problems with 2-cycle engines usually start (they don't start?) when they're left sitting too long with old gas in the tank and carb. Running the saw dry and draining the fuel each time is a real pain, often forgotten. Electric is the way to go there.
JohnK

Agree. 99% of the time I'd say no, but in your case, this would work out very good. My Stihl can sit for a year at a time and then be a PITA to fuel up, etc. Electric is always ready to go.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

out
to fuel

Electric by all means for that use. I would even consider going with a sawzall vice a chainsaw. Much easier and simpler to change a blade vice sharpen a chain.
Harry K
I agree with electric here. My guys at work use an electric chain saw to cut up 6" X 6" X 20' wood crates regularly, and the electric is handy and quick.
RJ

For an application like this, an electric chain saw is the cats meow. No fouled plugs, no yanking the starter cord. Keep the bar oil filled, oil once every 10 seconds or so, and keep the cord thrown back over your shoulder.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com wrote:

Try a table saw, even a cheap one. A chain saw for what you describe is overkill and not generally desirable.