Chainsaw recommendation

Page 2 of 2

A budget saw of 25 years ago is 5 times the budget saw of today, if that. Frankly I doubt you'd get 5 years out of a Homelite, Poulan, or Mcculloch built today.

If I remember right...Sears were mostly Poulans. I would buy Jonsered, Huskvarna, or Stihl (in that order)

My local Lawn machine shop that repairs and sells Sthil and all major commercial brands says Echos motors are the best. Echos warranty and motor hours rating is the best I believe. Sthil used to be better but Echo redesigned their motor.
ransley wrote:

Hi, May be so but one of our church member owns a small engine shop who used to sell Echo. I asked why when he quit selling them. His answer, they keep changing things and stocking ever chagning parts is a hassle.

I had a 25 year old Poulan, 14". It finally wore out. One thing I liked about it was that it was very well balanced and could be held with one hand. The only similar saw I was able to find was an Echo, everything else was heavier and unwieldy by comparison. One thing I discovered is that the newer saws now have a much narrower chain (and bar). This Echo cuts well be if the chain gets the slightest bit loose there is a good chance of it coming off the bar if it gets squished at all while I'm cutting with it.