Chainsaw chain question

Chainsaw=Craftsman 40cc Mod 35083 (18') I have been running a Google search for a chain for this unit & all I have been able to find is the Oregon S62 which is a 62 drive link 3/8 pitch ,05 gauge chain.I went to the Oregon website & they don't even have this(S62) listed.They recommend the D66(72V) which has 66 drive links 3/8 pitch .05 gauge.the only disfference is the number of drive links but to my way of thinking is that something has to be different for the number of drive links to be different. Any help on this will be appreciated
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:45:25 -0600, jsema wrote:

The like of each link is longer?
wrote Re Chainsaw chain question:

The D66 is just a longer (bigger circumference) chain. You might be able to use it if your bar has enough adjustment in it to take up the approx. 1" slack caused by the extra 4 links.
If there is any place near you that services any kind of chain saw they will likely be able to make you a custom length chain of the proper gauge/pitch. They just cut 62 links from a 100' roll and make it into a loop. They charge by the link or inch. That would probably be your best bet.

Where I live, they have a western supply store. Big one. They sell chain saws. They sell chain by the foot. They have a breaker there. If it were mine, I could take it there, and simply pop off four links by punching one pin. See if there's somewhere like that where you are. Or go to the local chainsaw place, and they'll do it.
Steve

You don't need that much extra play in the bar. There will only be 2 extra links on the top and 2 on the bottom.
Charlie
Eighteen foot chain may have to be custom made.

On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 12:07:02 -0600, S. Barker wrote:

I use my eighteen foot to clear cut faster.

I worked for a True Value and made up lengths of chain for customers. You would be surprised how many men would ask to take out links in a too-worn-out chain...just so they wouldn't have to buy a new one! Some people shouldn't be cuttin' !

My local power equipment store gets the various pitch Oregon chains by the spool, and will make the length you need while you watch.
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 10:45:25 -0600, jsema wrote:

For all the trouble you are going through, it might be easiest and cheapest to go to local chainsaw dealer and see what chains are suitable for your saw. Many dealers buy in bulk and can cut a chain to length.
jsema wrote:

Contact http://www.baileysonline.com/ and tell them about your chainsaw and tell them you need a replacement "loop" and they will take care of you. This is assuming that you don't have anyone local who sells and services chainsaws because it would always be easier to simply carry the saw to them, plunk it down on the counter, and tell them to replace the chain and check the bar and sprocket.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]