Chainsaw bar oil (is motor oil ok in a pinch or does it ruin the chain)?

Page 1 of 2
I use the bar oil from Lowes, which is thick and syrupy, but I can't help but think that thinner 30 weight motor oil should work.
I realize the motor oil might get flung off, but so does bar oil if you ask me.
Anyway, has anyone ever RUINED a chainsaw by substituting motor oil for bar oil, or is it just not something you've risked testing?
The main reason for 'chain saw oil' is it is biodegradeable.
Some saws recommend 30 weight motor oil.
I bought an electric pole chain saw a few months ago and it recoomends 30 wt. motor oil.

On Wed, 16 Sep 2015 23:07:47 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

That's unexpected!
Really?
On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 04:40:40 +0000 (UTC), Ewald Böhm

SOME chain saw oil is biodegradable but far from all. The eco friendly oil is basically canola or some other vegetable oil. It is more expensive but it seems to work about the same without putting an oil slick on ponds and rivers when you are cutting trees there..

I usually make sure oil is getting flung off to make sure it's flowing. Always used bar oil.
Greg
On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 7:32:26 PM UTC-7, Ewald Böhm wrote:

The only real difference between motor oil and bar oil is the addition of ' tacky stuff' to help it stick to the chain...and yes, it does sling off. B ack in the day (and that was some 70 years ago) the professionals used moto r oil, most times used motor oil. Of course that was back when chain saws were all gear drive and the chain didn't move at warp speed.
Harry K
On 9/16/2015 10:32 PM, Ewald Böhm wrote:

A couple decades ago, a friend of mine mentioned a neighbor who saved a lot of money by using used crank case motor oil in his chainsaw bar. However, he wore out bars and chains more rapidly, and that took all the fun out of it. As to new oil, I'm not sure.

equates to not much lube and lots of abrasive material.
Used oil of any kind should not be used with maybe the exception of some that is used for cooling such as out of a large transformer.
On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 8:57:48 AM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Oil change (hopefully) is done before the oil is worn out. And the filter removes the bits...but I would *stick* with bar oil too.
On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 7:32:26 PM UTC-7, Ewald Böhm wrote:

Why not use bar/chain oil? Face it, none of us cut that much wood so the e xpense is not a bank buster. I do up to 10 cord/yr and stick with bar/chai n oil.
Harry K
On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 10:50:06 -0700, Harry K wrote:

In a pinch, I want to know my options.
Ewald B?hm wrote:

In a pinch almost any oil will do . I don't cut as much wood as Harry , but I do a few cords a year and I use chain oil . Cheaper than replacing worn out bars and stretched chains . TIP: a sharp chain will run cooler , stretch less , and last longer in addition to cutting faster . If I touch rock or something I put that saw away until I have time to check it out - that's why all 3 saws go out with me when I'm cutting .
--
Snag

A battery operated Dremel tool with the chain saw stone in it is a must if you go out in the woods with your saw. You can sharpen a chain that was in the sand in a couple minutes.
On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 22:28:04 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

I find it cheaper to just replace the chain, than to sharpen it myself. It costs about $25 to replace. About $30 to have sharpened.

Harbor Freight has an electric sharpener on sale for around $ 30 or $ 40 that you can shapren a chain within a few moments. The chains can be sharpened severl times.
While not heavy duty, it works fine for the average home owner.
On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 03:36:06 +0000 (UTC), Ewald Böhm

I would rather spend a few minutes with my Dremel than spend $25 and take the saw apart every time I cut a palm tree. Sometimes you may be sharpening twice on one tree.
On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 8:36:10 PM UTC-7, Ewald Böhm wrote:

!!! You are being ripped off. Highest I ever paid was $10 and usually seve ral dollars under that. I almost always sharpen myself but sometimes I get lazy.
Harry K
On Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 6:15:41 PM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:

I carry my toolbox with at least 2 chains for every saw I have on the truck . Usually 3 but the other day I found I had 5 and used every one of them ( small stihl 192t to large Stihl 441. More just to give them some work than needing them.
Harry K
On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 14:28:23 -0700, Harry K wrote:

I have the Husky 445 which uses a pixel microthin bar (I don't know why they bother) but it takes a special chain, unfortunately.
A normal chain is too thick for the bar.
On Friday, September 18, 2015 at 2:58:57 PM UTC-7, Ewald Böhm wrote:

Any dealer should be able to either get or make up a chain for it.
Harry K