Chain Saw: Which To Purchase ?

Page 3 of 3
On 6/21/2016 11:25 PM, Micky wrote:

A tube is about $17 online on Ebay. Sounds like you're not really bothered by the spot. Probably not worth it, at this point.
OTOH, the burn on my finger (memorial day, two and a half weeks ago) I think has healed faster. Not all healed, but making progress.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/17/2016 3:53 PM, Frank wrote:

While I enjoy a lot of DIY, as I get older for some projects I find it is easier and safer to write a check.

branches

tree

Right. "A man's got to know his limitations." - Dirty Harry Callahan

If you're in a situation where you ask yourself, do I need a stepladder, or can I get by without it? Do yourself a favor and get the stepladder.
One year after Christmas I was taking down decorations and asked myself that very question. I told myself, you don't need no stinking stepladder. I climbed on the couch, and while balancing on the arm and back, suddenly found myself falling backwards on top of the coffee table. As I was falling the thought crossed my mind, is this how I'm going to die? It wasn't very bad, I limped around for a few days and got over it. Now I get the stepladder out for even minor projects.
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 22:36:41 -0500, "dangerous dan"

How about standing on a desk chair to change a light bulb on the ceiling. A reclining, rotating desk chair on wheels. I keep doing it, but maybe I'll stop.
Or standing on the bed to change another light bulb. That's easier but not that easy.
On 06/17/2016 09:36 PM, dangerous dan wrote:

Sue the sofa manufacturer. They should have put warning labels on the arm rests.
On 6/17/2016 10:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That basically describes me too.
Bob wrote:

Any will work but Stihl, Echo & Husquvarna will last the longest. However, what do you mean by "light brush"? Chain saws are meant for cutting wood; generally, sizeable wood. If what you have is truly light brush you might do better using a weed whacker that will take a brush blade. They work well and it is worlds easier to whack off brush near the ground with one than it is with a chain saw.
I would go with an electric unless the power cord would be impossible. Electric requires no thinking about gas/oil mixtures/storage, etc. Check Consumers Reports for details.

If I was going to buy another one, I would get an electric. I had one about 50 years ago for about ten years, then "upgraded" to a gas powered, gave away the electric one, and haven't been happy since, except for not needing a long, long, long, long extension cord.
Hi,
First, much thanks for all the really good advice.
Frankly, never thought of an "electric," but will undoubtedly be the way to go.
Question. If I get the Battery operated kind, and the battery runs down during usage, can I run an extension cord to it, then, and use it as the battery is being charged (in the saw) ?
Or, must the battery and its charger, be used external to the saw, and the saw is useless until the battery is recharged ?
Thanks, bob
On 6/18/2016 8:08 AM, Bob wrote:

Usually the battery slides out and goes into a charger. Stihl says 50 minutes of cutting on a charge. You can buy spare batteries too.

Bob-
I purchased a DeWalt kit that included a reciprocating saw. It uses the newer 20 Volt "Max" batteries that do not self-discharge, and came with two. The charger it came with is the rapid charging model. One battery can be on charge while using the other.
I use the reciprocating saw with a pruning blade for small stuff. The chain saw can cut larger branches and is faster, but bar oil is messy.
Fred
On 6/18/2016 8:08 AM, Bob wrote:

If I have a battery operated tool, I always make sure it comes with 2 batteries. Don't be surprised if extra battery costs $50. Think I mentioned that I had a string trimmer and hedge clipper set that came with 2 batteries and charger but when both batteries failed it would have cost $100 to replace them which is all I paid for the whole set. I hated to throw out two good tools because of this.
Can't recall any tool you could use and recharge during use except maybe laptop computer.

I dunno, but I thought you could never get the kind of power out a battery tool that you get from 110vac. I have a small yard, I admit it, but use an electric lawnmower now and weedwacker and hedgetrimmer and chainsaw, and I leave the 100' extension cord lying in the grass when I'm not using it, in the rain and in the snow. I try to move it every 4 or 5 days or it might leave a line in the grass, and sometimes the grass grows enough that I can barely find the cord. I've tripped the breaker at most once in 15 years, but that could have been for another reason. For several years I even had 10 feet of a flimsy extension cord between the wall and the good extension cord and the Black and Decker lawn mower didn't seem to go any slower, though it did wear out in about 5 years (It was owned before), don't remember how.