Chain Saw Starting Problem: Thoughts Or Suggestions, Please ?

Hi,

Have the typical Homeowners collection of 4 stroke cycle and 2 stroke cycle "toys".

On all of them, when I pull the starter ropes, it is "fairly" smooth, with just a slight variation in tension (going thru highs and lows) as I pull.

Trying to get an 8 year old Poulon chain saw working again.

2 stroke cycle unit, of course.

There is literally a tremendous variation in the tension as I pull. So hard, on occasion, at some point in the pull stroke, that it is hard to get/pull thru it.

Won't start. Not too surprising, as the pull on the rope that I am able to provide due to this tension variation is not very smooth, or fast.

I imagine there are lots of potential causes, but might anyone suggest what might be a likely one ?

Stuck valve, or...?

Would love to get it going again.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

I have a similar aged McCollough saw that exhibits the same behavior. In large part, I attribute it to the combination of intermittent use and the fact that it's a two cycle engine that's even more susceptible to gumming up. The only way to start it is to pour a small amount of fuel in the carb intake and then pull the cord with the throttle held full open at the same time. No mean amount of contortion required.

You can check the compression release - if that's not working right, the pull will be much harder. You should replace the plug each season - that's cheap and easy. Make sure the plug is gapped properly, not necessarily how it comes from the manufacturer. Short of tearing the saw down and really cleaning out the fuel system from the tank to the cylinder, there's not much else you can do.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Pull the spark plug and see if it's still hard to pull thru . There's a chance the cylinder has chain oil or oil from evaporated fuel in there , that can make them hard to pull .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

At this moment, I would pull the spark plug out. Give it a couple tugs on the cord, see if water or gasoline or some other stuff flies out the spark plug hole.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon