Chain Saw Stalls

I've got a Homelite 16" chain saw. A few years older, but very similiar to this model:

It starts easily and idles fine. If I squeeze the throttle the tiniest amount it'll rev right up, almost to what seems like full speed.

However, as soon as I squeeze the throttle enough to actually use it, it stalls.

I've tried adjusting the H & L screws, starting at the center and turning them in small increments in both directions, but they don't seem to make any difference.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

actually use it,

Turn the H adjustment about a quarter of a turn counterclockwise, or a touch more. If that doesn't do it, I'd check the gas filter, and the gas tank air vent.

Reply to
timbirr

You have an fuel supply problem usually the diaphragm in the carb is cracked,

Sal

Reply to
sal

Could be several things but I would check the filter in the tank to see if it might be partially plugged. The carb itself might be dirty inside and may need to be taken apart and cleaned. The air filter might also be plugged.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I had the same problem with my Stihl. Turns out it was the anti spark screen in the muffler. Check your muffler to ensure it is clear.

Reply to
murraym

Id guess from similar motors and the way they behave since it idles the carb is a bit clogged and the high speed circuit needle valve needs adjustment or something is loose, try screwing in to lean it first to get it to rev the fastest, if leaning wont help when power is needed, back it off and try partial choke to see if its gas starved. It could also be a bad spark that fails under load as a weak spark can fail to ignite gas, that could be a bad plug, wire, ignition module, pull plug if spark is not blue white that could be the cause. Any thing loose like carb, hoses, loose motor bolts can affect running also by changing the air mix. See if removing air filter helps, if it does its running to rich and leaning-screwing in the high speed needle may help. So its fuel-air mix, or spark id guess since it idles fast you say.

Reply to
ransley

You did adjust the screws?, they make a big difference under load full rpm, off even 1/4 and it wont get full load power, turning in is leaning mix, more air.

Reply to
ransley

I've seen the same with weedeaters. If it has a spark suppressor, definitely check it.

George