Chain Saw recommendations

Page 2 of 2

The only way to sharpen a chain is to take it to the people who do dozens a day with a power sharpener and pay the $4 and have it done properly. A file and file guide don't cut it (no pun intended).
--
Steve Barker

"nowforsale" < snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
know a locksmith that can sharpen a chain with a file, he taught me how and i did it but have forgot now, no power sharpener or $ charges needed, just practice, which chainsaw owners get, thus the need for sharpening routinely, sometimes out in the forest where no power sharpening shops are

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 17:48:43 GMT, "nowforsale"

Yup DH knows how to sharpen his chain saw with a simple file out on the farm if need be.
beans --smithfarms.com farmers of pure kona roast beans to kona to email

I like what Henry Ford said ............. "Whether you think you can or can't, you're right."
Steve
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:39:23 -0400, "Charlie Bress"

I had a Poulan for 30 years but it finally wore out a couple months ago. It was just a little one with a 14" blade and I cut down a lot of large trees with it. When I went to look for a replacement I didn't like the balance of the new Poulans. The only one that had decent balance was the ECHO. I believe it's a CS-130, or whatever it is Home Depot sells for around $200. I used it to cut down one tree. The chain jumped off the bar 3 times and the change tangs that run in the bar got damaged and I had to file them to keep them from sticking in the bar. In the 30 years I had the Poulan the chain only came off maybe twice. In the 4 hours I used the Echo it came off the three times. In looking at the bar and chain on the ECHO they are clearly lighter duty items then on my old Poulan, practically like a cheap toy. The bar is thin and the chain is also very thin. I thought the ECHO was a good saw based on looking at what I could on the Internet before I bought it but I'm not at all impressed. Plus the automatic oiler has already stopped working and there is no manual oiler so I'll have to pull it apart to see what's wrong with it and probably already need to buy a new bar and chain. It's a piece of crap.

Sorry for all your trouble. Maybe you just got a lemon Echo or the chain saw was too small for your job. We have used Echos for 18 years to prune every one of our coffee trees every year. Perhaps coffee trees are softer wood or have a smaller diameter, but Echo works well for us.
I have no connection to Echo, promise.
aloha, beans --smithfarms.com farmers of pure kona roast beans to kona to email