Chain Saw recommendations

Page 1 of 2
My son is planning to get a chainsaw. He wants gas powered. He and the D-I-L are getting serious about a house with a lightly wooded lot. Since she works at good old Home Depot she can get an employee discount. (don't bother bashing HD, she knows, but a buck is a buck).
He is looking at the HD products. There is Echo, Poulan and Homelite. I told him to look at Stihl. It is too many $$ for a them for home use.
How good is the Echo? It is priced higher than the other two. Is it worth the difference? Are the other too just to cheap?
Opinions are solicited. Owner/user opinions will be worth more than the off the cuff complaints and bitches that abound on this NG.
Charlie
Charlie Bress wrote:

I can't speak to Homelite, but I know from experience that Echo and Poulan are excellent quality. I have had a 18" Poulan chainsaw (branded Craftsman) for about 6 years that I use many times a year. It still starts on the first or second pull and cuts great. I have an Echo string trimmer that I've had for 8 years. These things are "contractor grade". The engine life is rated much longer than other manufacturers. I calculated that my string trimmer engine will last 100 years at the rate I'm using it. Definitely get an 18" chain saw. You'll need it. 16" is just not enough.
BRW
Charlie Bress wrote:

McCullough is out of business but there are still units for sale. So, whatever you consider, check for availability of repair parts first.
My HomeLite string trimmer is still going strong after 10 years.
We have to prune each of our coffee trees every year and we only buy Echo. Wonderful machines.
aloha, beans --smithfarms.com farmers of pure kona roast beans to kona to email
Charlie Bress wrote:

Hi, If you have to choose from the 3, I'd go for Echo. I have a Stihl which works very well for me.
I use Poulan Pro. As well as a Craftsman , which has actually been doing quite well for its 10 year age, its made three log cabins and kept me in firewood for those 10 years. All by itself, the Poulan is a smaller saw and gets alot of use too.
Searcher
i think the echo is the better choice. better saw.easier to service too.
Charlie Bress wrote:

I wore my Poulan 3400 slap dab out - but it took me 15 years of very heavy use to do it. I don't think the newer ones are quite that good. \ Bob
I can't comment on the other two. But I have a 16 inch Homelite PS-33 which is reasonable quality. Not very powerful, but the once or twice a year I use it, it's OK.
Please try to find a safety training course for them, if at all possible. Folks really underestimate how dangerous chainsaws are. I got my safety training from a couple old country boys, and it has saved my life and limb.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

"Charlie Bress" < snipped-for-privacy@paamail.com> wrote in message
Where can you buy a new decent sized Stihl chainsaw for under $200? Never mind eBay.
Charlie

Charlie Bress wrote:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=stihl+180C+OR+Miniboss&Search&lmode=online&price1 5.00&price200.00
Rob
trainfan1 wrote:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=stihl+180C+OR+Miniboss&Search&lmode=online&price1 5.00&price200.00

Of course, "decent sized" is quite subjective...
Rob
Stihl dealer. They start at under $200 at retail level. We never talked size.
--
Steve Barker

"trainfan1" < snipped-for-privacy@usdatanet.net> wrote in message
Charlie Bress wrote:

I have a Poulan Wildthing, said for occassional use. Works fine but oil pump gave out after about 5 hours. Fixed under warranty but I wish I had returned it to Home Depot for another because going back and forth to repair shop in boodocks that honored warranty was a pain. Frank

IMO, the Stihl is the best value of the bunch. Buy it once and just keep using it for many years.
Homelite is a good tool if the intended use is to cut two branches and throw it away. That is what happened to mine. Worst piece of crap ever made. OK, second worst. The Wagner spray gun is the absolute worst tool made.
Echo and Poulen are mediocre, but may serve their needs for light use.

bought a sears 14" bat chainsaw in 1988, cut plenty of trees down and up with it, can still get parts for it from sears, many off the shelf in their stores
felling trees should only be done by qualified persons, and is still dangerous for them, and some still get killed felling trees
Imho, the top two chainsaws are Stihl and Husky.
You can get a Husky 345 for around $240, and if they are on sale, free shipping.
They will last many X longer than the other brands available from HD and outlet stores.
Look.
Buy one good chainsaw now for $300.
Buy a cheapo and have to replace it in two or three years. In three years or so, you have spent more than a good on would have cost in the first place.
Cheap chainsaws don't generally last. And the "expensive" ones don't cost that much more for what you get.
I looked and looked and looked before buying my Husky 345 from Norwalk Power Equipment. The saw was $237, but I got the safety hat, and other things that bumped up the cost. They did include two free extra chains, and free shipping, though.
I love that saw, and know it will last many years.
Steve
The OP is not listening. I don't know why he asked. His son is just going to buy one of the disposables from HD ( www.homedepotsucks.com ) anyway.
--
Steve Barker

"Steve B" < snipped-for-privacy@zydeco.net> wrote in message

in addition to previously mentioned safety considerations, it's also a good idea for a chainsaw owner to know how to sharpen the chain