Chain saw questions

Page 1 of 2

My friend has come by a big roll of chain saw chain, a breaker, and maybe even a sharpener.
Is this similar to a motorcycle chain breaker that uses a screw to force the pin out, or does one use a punch?
Is there a master link on a chainsaw chain, or does one put the pin in and squeeze it/hit it to mushroom the ends?
Steve
Steve B wrote: ...

Master link on any ones I've ever had; afaik that's universal.
On 12/02/2009 04:42 PM, Steve B wrote:

Van Chocstraw wrote:

Unless you have a big roll of chain saw chain handy. Then you'd be stupid to do otherwise.
That would be like making a special trip to buy a 10 foot rope when you have a 1000 foot roll on the shelf.
On 12/02/2009 06:12 PM, Bob F wrote:

Van Chocstraw wrote:

No. I haven't been so lucky. But the O.P. has.

Yeah. You could too, if you follow this link; (Amazon.com product link shortened)
It ain't rare.
Jim

Yes.
It is common in Utah.
Steve

Yes, so can you in any saw dealership and most 'fix-it' shops.
Harry K

Is that why they sell the equipment to do this, sell rolls of 100 foot of chain, and if you go into a hardware store or saw shop, they will custom cut you one?
Steve

If you don't know anything about the subject, just say so or please refrain from answering. It's okay. Really.
Steve

It's never stopped me. :-P
Jim

I'm suprised you came across a "roll".... chainsaw chain is like a "sealed unit" that has no master link as you asked. It's done like that for safety because if a tree limb happened to knock the master link off and the chain broke in two there is no way of telling where that chain would whip around and what body part it would connect with etc. I personally know what it's like to get bit by a chainsaw as a few years ago I bounced a running chainsaw off my ankle... Chainsaw chain is bought by a sealed length and thickness... Jim

Yes, I know that. However, in my part of the world, it is very common practice for a shop to have a long roll of chain, and to custom make chains. Among loggers, it is common to cut chains from a long piece rather than to buy precut chains, which are more money.
Steve

I intend to do that tomorrow. However, I thought that someone here might have some experience with this. Isn't that what we have the newsgroup for, people looking for answers from more experienced people?
Steve
On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 20:38:59 -0800, "Steve B"

Zackly-- As Plato might have said; "One asks, many answer, all learn"
Jim
wrote

That's the intent.
But unfortunately a bunch of guys-- most probably with short or limp Johnsons-- for the first time in their lives can exercise some "power" here by sounding aggressive or being critical of others in the NG.
Most of these guys' usual dealing with people include phrases like "Would you like fries with that" or "I've finished mowing your lawn and blowing the leaves, same time next week?"

Notice that most of them also have those cutesy 'nospam' addresses so they don't get those big mean emails that they apparently don't know how to delete.

You're too kind.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

FWIW, mine is a perfectly valid address.